Where do I stand with my current metrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBFutureDMD

Reaction score
My current metrics include a cumulative GPA of 3.65, an sGPA of ~3.4, a DAT of 19AA, 19TS, 22 PAT, 18 QR, 23 RC.
I have a combination of >550 hours of shadowing and paid assisting (large majority is paid assisting), a research paper under review, graduating from an honors program.

I plan to apply to schools along the eastern seaboard of the US. I currently have another DAT exam scheduled for mid-August. Should I take that exam or am I in a good spot with my current metrics and scores?

Members don't see this ad.

My current metrics include a cumulative GPA of 3.65, an sGPA of ~3.4, a DAT of 19AA, 19TS, 22 PAT, 18 QR, 23 RC.
I have a combination of >550 hours of shadowing and paid assisting (large majority is paid assisting), a research paper under review, graduating from an honors program.

I plan to apply to schools along the eastern seaboard of the US. I currently have another DAT exam scheduled for mid-August. Should I take that exam or am I in a good spot with my current metrics and scores?
fill out a full WAMC template...

Reactions: 1 user
WHAT ARE MY CHANCES: DENTAL SCHOOL
Thank you for taking the time to review!

Date of submission: none yet (expected in before 6/14/2022)
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.35
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.36
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 19TS (19 ORGO, 19 GCHEM, 18 BIO), 22 PAT, 23 RC, 18 QR
State of Residence: NY, USA

Undergrad Attended: CUNY Macaulay Honors College
Major: Business Management
Minor: Chemistry
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General dentist shadowing (8 hours), Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Pre-Dental Program (40 hours), paid general dentistry assisting (503 hours), total of 551 hours.
Volunteering Experience: 501(c)(3) youth events committee member (30 hours), peer mentor & orientation leader (~45 hours), freshman registration mentor (6 hours), total of ~80 hours.
Employment: General dentistry assisting (503 hours), summer 2020 summer camp unit head (360 hours), summer 2019 retail clerk (~240 hours)
Research: Review research paper (topic: dermatological procedures and treatments & patient expectations), under review for publication
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Society President (~80 hours), Pre-Dental Society Events Chair (~20 hours), EMT Club Treasurer (~40 hours)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Macaulay Honors College, Dean's List (3 semesters out of 6), Full Merit Scholarship
LOR type and strength: LOR from dentist, very strong; LOR from Biochemistry 1 professor, very strong; LOR from Physics 1 professor, unknown but I expect it to be strong as well; LOR from astrology/honors core professor, least strong of the four, but still strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list (no specific order):

1. Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
  2. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
  3. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)
  4. New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
  5. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Dental Medicine (RSDM)
  6. Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine (SUSB)
  7. The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry Temple University (TEMP)
  8. Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College (TCDM)
  9. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
  10. University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF)
  11. University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine (CONN)
  12. University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
  13. University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)

Members don't see this ad :)
WHAT ARE MY CHANCES: DENTAL SCHOOL
Thank you for taking the time to review!

Date of submission: none yet (expected in before 6/14/2022)
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.35
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.36
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 19TS (19 ORGO, 19 GCHEM, 18 BIO), 22 PAT, 23 RC, 18 QR
State of Residence: NY, USA

Undergrad Attended: CUNY Macaulay Honors College
Major: Business Management
Minor: Chemistry
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General dentist shadowing (8 hours), Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Pre-Dental Program (40 hours), paid general dentistry assisting (503 hours), total of 551 hours.
Volunteering Experience: 501(c)(3) youth events committee member (30 hours), peer mentor & orientation leader (~45 hours), freshman registration mentor (6 hours), total of ~80 hours.
Employment: General dentistry assisting (503 hours), summer 2020 summer camp unit head (360 hours), summer 2019 retail clerk (~240 hours)
Research: Review research paper (topic: dermatological procedures and treatments & patient expectations), under review for publication
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Society President (~80 hours), Pre-Dental Society Events Chair (~20 hours), EMT Club Treasurer (~40 hours)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Macaulay Honors College, Dean's List (3 semesters out of 6), Full Merit Scholarship
LOR type and strength: LOR from dentist, very strong; LOR from Biochemistry 1 professor, very strong; LOR from Physics 1 professor, unknown but I expect it to be strong as well; LOR from astrology/honors core professor, least strong of the four, but still strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list (no specific order):

1. Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
  2. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
  3. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)
  4. New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
  5. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Dental Medicine (RSDM)
  6. Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine (SUSB)
  7. The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry Temple University (TEMP)
  8. Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College (TCDM)
  9. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
  10. University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF)
  11. University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine (CONN)
  12. University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
  13. University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)
science/BCP GPA are below matriculant average (3.55)
DAT scores are below matriculant average (20.5)
shadowing hours need improvement (maybe shadow some specialties)
volunteering hours can be improved too
columbia is a pretty far reach
i would recommending adding a bunch more schools...

Reactions: 1 users
science/BCP GPA are below matriculant average (3.55)
DAT scores are below matriculant average (20.5)
shadowing hours need improvement (maybe shadow some specialties)
volunteering hours can be improved too
columbia is a pretty far reach
i would recommending adding a bunch more schools...
Thanks for the feedback. Planning a DAT retake on August 12, hoping to break 21 AA on that. As for specialty shadowing, I plan to add some oral surgery and orthodontics hours this summer.

Reactions: 2 users
It helps you a bit that you were involved with an academic enrichment program, but you still have to meet expectations for upper-level biology courses and your DAT. Have you asked the mentors from your predental program at Rutgers for their advice? What have they told you?

Reactions: 1 user
It helps you a bit that you were involved with an academic enrichment program, but you still have to meet expectations for upper-level biology courses and your DAT. Have you asked the mentors from your predental program at Rutgers for their advice? What have they told you?
Unfortunately we weren't given specific mentors during the program, but I do have the contact information for the program supervisor. I'll try giving her a call and seeing what she says. Thanks!