Where do new ophthalmology residents buy their lenses? How much should they pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthoapplicant17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for old posts about where to buy lenses and what the ballpark prices are, but what I've found seem outdated.
It would be very helpful for new residents to know how much they should be paying for lenses.
Other than Pioneer International, are there Volk lens distributors with relatively low prices? What are the typical rates for residents?

The following is what I see on the Pioneer website without making a resident account:
Volk 90D: $305
Volk Digital Wide Field: $441
Volk 20D: $278
Volk 2.2 Pan Retinal: $278
Volk Gonio 4 Mirror: $413

If you purchased your lenses in the past few years, could you please share where you bought them and how much you paid? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of residents buy their lenses through a company that may interact with their program. This usually happens when you arrive at your residency.
Another great place to buy lenses is at AAO - they have pretty awesome discounts and you can get the lens within 1 day - engraved and all.

Reactions: 1 users
look on ebay as well--lots of retiring ophthalmologists.

I second the EBay option as long as you don't care about the ring color and having your name engraved. I bought the 28D for $100 and the DWF for $170, and both were in excellent condition.