Where do you buy a stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretstang19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I've got a family friend who wants to buy me my first stethoscope as a graduation gift :D but I don't have a clue about where to get one, or what kind to get. Does anyone out there (especially current medical students) know of any place online to get a stethoscope? And, what model/type should I get?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

There are two major stethoscope companies. The most popular of the two is Littmann. There are two popular models: Cardiology III and the Cardiology Master. I own a cardiology master which claims to have superior acoustics (I don't know if I buy that one), but it has the bell and diaphragm in one. People tend to go with the Cardiology III because it separates both parts- which is antiquated but it is what your instructors will own and what has been used for a long time.

Thanks so much for the advice... do you have any idea where you can get a stethoscope other than at a hospital? Maybe online somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try here. My dad used to work for 3M and was able to get one at an employee discount and showed me this site.

Littman stethocopes

If you don't want one quite this expensive, you will probably find a basic stethoscope at any university bookstore with a school of nursing. Also, medical supply store, if there is one nearby. Littman is really nice. Makes awesome gifts.

See if you can find out what your school wants you to have. We were required to have a cardiology or equivalent (we had several brands to choose from). Wouldn't want to end up with something that you cannot use.

Originally posted by secretstang19
Hey everybody!

I've got a family friend who wants to buy me my first stethoscope as a graduation gift :D but I don't have a clue about where to get one, or what kind to get. Does anyone out there (especially current medical students) know of any place online to get a stethoscope? And, what model/type should I get?

Thanks!

I have a Littman Cardio III which is more than enough for a med student or any non-cardiologist. I don't know if it's been proven, but the running rumor has been that of the two most popular companies (Littman and HP) Littman is louder but sacrifices clarity and HP has better clarity but is harder to hear. This may be very true, but the likelihood is that the difference would not matter to a non-cardiologist.

For the cardio III, if they're asking more than $120 you're getting screwed. Check on-line. I've seen the scope many times at big bazaar type sales going for $200+ Don't buy it there.

mike

There are plenty of medical supply companies on the internet (you cannot buy from 3M directly through the above link). And the Littmann Cardiology III and Master Cardiology are two of the most common that you'll see in the hospital. They run about $140. Until you become very adept at using them, you'll probably not notice a difference. There are cheaper Littmann models that are cheaper and are just as effective (Master Classic II for example) unless you plan on going into cardiology...but as Dr. Mom says, some schools might make you purchase a "cardiology" scope for some silly reason. The Classic II runs about $80.

Probably at one time or another in medical school there will be an equipment fair where the reps from the companies will come and you can try all this stuff out and see what you like. They tend to have some of the lowest prices and there's no shipping to pay so you just might want to hold out.

www.stethoscope.com

they give you a free pen light too...also offers engraving (for an additional fee though) :D

check out www.allheart.com

They seem to have some of the best prices out there on all sorts of medical equipment.

Hey NYGIRL12, I almost bought that stethoscope from www.stethoscope.com with the engraving option, then I stopped short of doing that... I had a thought: wouldn't engraving impair the acoustics of the stethoscope? I saw other places offering personalizations on the rubber tubings instead of the metalic bell.