WHERE do you do most of your studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where do you do most of your studying?

• Home

Votes: 85 47.0%
  • Library

Votes: 39 21.5%
  • Another quiet place on campus

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Coffee shop/Public place

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • With friends/In a study group

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Outside somewhere (weather permitting)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Please let us know where that is.)

Votes: 6 3.3%

• Total voters

Lulu8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it'd be interesting to see where most people to the bulk of the studying. Thanks guys! Please reply with any answers I haven't thought of.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty finicky in my study habits. One day I'll be in the mood to study at home; another, I'll be at school. When I'm not there, it's usually Borders (outside if I can), or a coffee shop. It completely depends on what I'm in the mood for that day, and where I feel I can concentrate the best.

I have to do my studying in public otherwise I would never get anything done. There's something about the social pressure that keeps me from procrastinating too much. I'm incredibly impressed/jealous of people who can study at home...

Members don't see this ad :)
inside a gigantic artificial uterus.

My "other" is our med student-only lounge/study area. It is sometimes quiet, individual studying and sometimes more of a study group atmosphere.

Library usually. Otherwise I'll study in a "nerd room" or the cafeteria. The nerd rooms are 8x8 rooms with a small window and a table with chairs. I can't study at home, but I do study at the public library periodically.

Library usually. Otherwise I'll study in a "nerd room" or the cafeteria. The nerd rooms are 8x8 rooms with a small window and a table with chairs. I can't study at home, but I do study at the public library periodically.

your nerd rooms have windows? :confused:

edit// and chairs?

edit// and chairs?

:laugh: And my first thought was "wow, that sounds spacious".

I think us others are getting shafted...

I'm incredibly impressed/jealous of people who can study at home...

And I'm incredibly jealous of people who can study in public - how do you refrain from people-watching and eavesdropping? :p

I study in my room, with my shades closed, my door closed, no music, and on my bed (thus out of arms reach of my computer).

edit// and chairs?

He exaggerates. It's a window in the door, solely placed there to see if someone's using the room. However, there are huge whiteboards - bonus.

Personally, I gotta study in public. I can't stand the library - never have. If it's completely quiet, I daydream like crazy. Gotta have the noise and the "social pressure" someone else mentioned so I don't doze off either. Plus, I can fool myself into thinking I'm still part of society.

When I'm at Starbucks, I'm in the zone.

I study at home. I have a room in my house that is my "study", it has a desk with a computer but I usually end up in the papasan with my laptop. It has really good lighting set up and all my books and a whiteboard. I play classical music while I study and use energizing aromatherapy, but the best part is my cats who curl up and purr next to me making me not feel quite so lonely and like a hermit. That and getting to study in my pajamas and making my own espresso drinks without feeling guilty that they cost 5 bucks.

Key words: Free Refills and Free Wifi. Slap some headphones on and put on a little Album Leaf and you're good to go.

Key words: Free Refills and Free Wifi. Slap some headphones on and put on a little Album Leaf and you're good to go.

Every single part of this formula sounds like studying nirvana. Well played.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to do my studying in public otherwise I would never get anything done. There's something about the social pressure that keeps me from procrastinating too much. I'm incredibly impressed/jealous of people who can study at home...

haha, i totally agree. even though i am currently in public and wasting time on SDN instead of studying....

if i study at home, i end up cleaning, doing dishes, reoganizing my sock drawer, etc. to avoid doing work. I also end up eating A LOT (and getting fat :mad: ). As long as i'm at a coffee shop with my $1.50 coffee in front of me, i have a steady stream of glucose and i generally don't buy the $3 muffins b/c they're expensive. and since i'm not a class goer, i see my friends at coffee shops. sometimes i even make friends who aren't in medical school when i study in public! :thumbup:

I have tried and failed to study at home. Occasionally, I study with a group, and that's usually in the library or sometimes someone's apartment. The vast majority of my studying, however, is done at coffeeshops. Mostly the Starbucks 1 block from my apartment (out of sheer laziness), and I mix it up with local independent coffee shops or Panera. I also go through anatomy flashcards mostly on the bus, which is surprisingly efficient. :D

As someone said above, I get in the zone at Starbucks. Coffee + light background noise + no internet or tv + good people-watching for short study breaks = perfection. I bring my iPod in case there are loud-talkers, and I bring snacks since their food is crappy for you and overpriced. I'm in there enough that the baristas know me and don't seem to mind if I camp out for 6 hours at a time. I've met lots of interesting people while studying at Starbucks too.

I chose other. I'm usually in the med student lounge with lots of noise and laughter and TV(no cable). I can go for hours that way. If I must I'll do the library thing but studying at home is a thing of the past. Everything at home is more interesting than the crap I have to read, even dusting and washing dishes.

I'm very much a homebody, so I like studying at home--though sometimes I do get distracted with stuff (dishes, organizing, etc). For a change of pace, I head to a coffee shop/diner or some corner in the library.

beginning of new block - library since need laptop to listen to lectures, look up ppts, add to notes

later in block, coffeeshops, borders, etc.

Only on the elliptical in the gym. Too many distractions at other locales.

I'm almost exclusively a home studier. Occasionally I go to coffee shops, but that makes up maybe 5% of my studying time. I hate to clean, so believe me I feel no impulse to do that to avoid studying. Studying avoidance is what SDN is for. ;)

He exaggerates. It's a window in the door, solely placed there to see if someone's using the room. However, there are huge whiteboards - bonus.
Well, the MUTS don't have windows to the outside, but the actual nerd rooms, like the ones right across from anatomy lab and the STAR center have windows to the outside. Granted, they're like 1 foot by 6 feet, and they're too high off the ground to see out of them other than the sky, but they ARE windows.

haha, i totally agree. even though i am currently in public and wasting time on SDN instead of studying....

if i study at home, i end up cleaning, doing dishes, reoganizing my sock drawer, etc. to avoid doing work. I also end up eating A LOT (and getting fat :mad: ). As long as i'm at a coffee shop with my $1.50 coffee in front of me, i have a steady stream of glucose and i generally don't buy the $3 muffins b/c they're expensive. and since i'm not a class goer, i see my friends at coffee shops. sometimes i even make friends who aren't in medical school when i study in public! :thumbup:

This sounds just like me. I think we both study in public for the same reasons. Besides, how can I justify studying if I'm sitting less than 10 feet away from my bathtub, which hasn't been cleaned in over a month, and is starting to get this awful green/brown ring around it?

Starbucks has preserved my sanity (though it has done nothing for the cleanliness of my apartment).

I study best at the local library where there is no distraction from wireless access.

Well, the MUTS don't have windows to the outside, but the actual nerd rooms, like the ones right across from anatomy lab and the STAR center have windows to the outside. Granted, they're like 1 foot by 6 feet, and they're too high off the ground to see out of them other than the sky, but they ARE windows.

I used to stand on the chairs and stair out the windows when I took a study break (that was last year though when I used to study in the Nerd rooms.)

Now I study in a hidden corner of the library.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to stand on the chairs and stair out the windows when I took a study break (that was last year though when I used to study in the Nerd rooms.)

Now I study in a hidden corner of the library.
I stand and stare out the windows in the library - either at downtown or at the workers below.

holy christ I almost spit diet dr. pepper all over the computer. Where did the catbread come from?

my avatar...it's from the mystic depths of the intarnets...

inside a gigantic artificial uterus.

Can you get lighting in there? I've tried this, and the humidity gets to me. Then every once in a while the room shakes. Sometimes my feet would get nudged until I got sprayed with this weird stuff. :mad:

I gave up after I found out that I'd be washed out every 28 days. My Netter flash cards got all messy.

I am the same way. I get so easily distracted in a quiet room :eek: or when I'm at home.:sleep:

Home, or if i can't stand being at home and need a break from my study... Panera.

but you can see when the helicopters land.