Where do you go to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Texas A&M University. Very prestigious (but only among rural Texas dwellers)

I used to live in Houston and thought A&M was a big deal (I was in middle school). I was surprised after moving to NC that nobody else seems to know/care about schools in Texas other than UT. Geographic bias I suppose

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to UW Madison as well, but don't consider it prestigious :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
here just let me give you my social and mothers maiden name while we're at it

one of the most depressing schools in america ._.

'some school in boston'. There's plenty of schools in Boston, but people always know which one you're talking about.

I actually do Suffolk nights. This was before I found out they don't run Hahvahd at night.

Houston Baptist University

Almost went to A&M

I go to the least recognizable tier 1 university in Texas.
In the nearby medical center, a lot of grad schools really like our graduates.. Not prestigious at all though. A lot of my friends look down on my school :(

In the nearby medical center, a lot of grad schools really like our graduates.. Not prestigious at all though. A lot of my friends look down on my school :(
Texas Tech?

Members don't see this ad :)

U of H

Didn't know U of H is tier 1, makes it a pretty awesome school with the low tuition and all...

Last edited:
Wow. Are some of you kids really embarrassed to say what your undergraduate school is because it might not be prestigious enough?

That's pretty pathetic. This isn't a penis size comparison with every girl you've ever met staring at the results; nobody cares.

I went to community college for two years and got my associates degree, transferred to and currently at Mizzou.

Prestige is overrated. I chose my state school for a post-bacc over my private undergrad (top 25) and the facilities/professors/research opportunities at my state school are easily ten times better. I had a fantastic experience in undergrad and wouldn't trade that for anything, but it had little to do with my school's "prestige" and a lot to do with the location and the people I met there. I don't like seeing all the people who post here saying, "I go to my state school, it isn't prestigious, woe is me." State schools are awesome!

Wow. Are some of you kids really embarrassed to say what your undergraduate school is because it might not be prestigious enough?

That's pretty pathetic. This isn't a penis size comparison with every girl you've ever met staring at the results; nobody cares.

I went to community college for two years and got my associates degree, transferred to and currently at Mizzou.

I think it's more a question of knowing for a fact that people from your school lurk here and even though they might have already guessed who you are you don't want them to know for sure... My undergrad is prestigious but like you said, who really cares.

Undergrad isn't really that big of an issue when applying to med school. Simply your GPA, EC etc. I chose my school b/c of the act that I'm not really paying for school b/c I'm covered by grants/scholarships etc.

Hahaha I applied to a couple "prestigious" schools but only got accepted to one of them. Got accepted to a couple of other state and private uni. But umass gave me the best FA so I decided to go there plus family reasons. If I keep my grades up, I will graduate with only 4K debt and that's a good deal for me :D :thumbup:

Hahaha I applied to a couple "prestigious" schools but only got accepted to one of them. Got accepted to a couple of other state and private uni. But umass gave me the best FA so I decided to go there plus family reasons. If I keep my grades up, I will graduate with only 4K debt and that's a good deal for me :D :thumbup:

wow 4k, that's like how much i got a semester haha

wow 4k, that's like how much i got a semester haha

What's your COA?

Mine is 12K/year (I live at home). Got 5500 from pell, 700 grant for being a mass resident, 6K merit scholarship. If I keep a GPA of 3.3 or higher, I get 5K each year.

here just let me give you my social and mothers maiden name while we're at it

Not quite the same as listing your undergrad institution....:rolleyes:

I was edumacated at Rutgers.

I actually do Suffolk nights. This was before I found out they don't run Hahvahd at night.

When I tell ya to dump'em in the maash, I mean dump'em in the maash!!!

Great movie.

UNL. Not real prestigious methinks...going for the free ride :p

I try not to think about that real hard...I could've gone to a really prestigious ug in my hometown if I had had more money, but I'm going to what I consider a lesser university specifically because of financial reasons. Applying for college was less applying for college and more applying to all the places that would give me the most moneys. :(

Prestige is overrated. I chose my state school for a post-bacc over my private undergrad (top 25) and the facilities/professors/research opportunities at my state school are easily ten times better. I had a fantastic experience in undergrad and wouldn't trade that for anything, but it had little to do with my school's "prestige" and a lot to do with the location and the people I met there. I don't like seeing all the people who post here saying, "I go to my state school, it isn't prestigious, woe is me." State schools are awesome!

Well I just want to point out that your state school experience may not reflect that of other schools. For example, if you're at UNC for your state school, that's a pretty top notch state school and has multiple leading researchers. On the other hand, some of your local CSU schools aren't quite as wonderful (and plenty of the UC's as well). My friends at UNR have told me that the opportunities there really aren't very good.

This isn't a pitch for private over state schools, but just pointing out that there can be very notable differences in the quality of one's state school depending on the state.

When I tell ya to dump'em in the maash, I mean dump'em in the maash!!!

Great movie.

I was wondering when someone other than me would react to that! One of my favorite movies.

UNL. Not real prestigious methinks...going for the free ride :p

I try not to think about that real hard...I could've gone to a really prestigious ug in my hometown if I had had more money, but I'm going to what I consider a lesser university specifically because of financial reasons. Applying for college was less applying for college and more applying to all the places that would give me the most moneys. :(

Amen brah! me too

Prestige of school isn't jack unless it's a top 25.

I'm sure that someone in Michigan has heard of my school. :laugh:

wow there was so many stupid threads i didn't log in for a week... and this time when i log in i see this gem...

dear mods please delete the SDN pre-med forums.

I go to St John's College, which deliberately took itself off of the US News and World Report ranking some time ago. It's a school of about 450 students, and its prestige is about nil outside the world of Great Books/Philosophy. I'm going to be doing a post bacc at U of Maryland, which is a pretty good state school, I guess.

I go to St John's College, which deliberately took itself off of the US News and World Report ranking some time ago. It's a school of about 450 students, and its prestige is about nil outside the world of Great Books/Philosophy. I'm going to be doing a post bacc at U of Maryland, which is a pretty good state school, I guess.

I was this close to going there. I loved the great books approach. Are you in New Mexico or Annapolis campus?