Where do you go to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rice University :D Definitely prestigious in Texas (or atleast we like to think of ourselves as the harvard of the south)...But move away from the South and nobody has even heard of us...

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't know U of H is tier 1, makes it a pretty awesome school with the low tuition and all...

U of H just got tier 1 status this year. I was going around U of H campus and they had huge billboards advertising their newly found tier 1 status. Ofcourse being from Rice myself I was quite amused :p

Rice University :D Definitely prestigious in Texas (or atleast we like to think of ourselves as the harvard of the south)...But move away from the South and nobody has even heard of us...

Thought that was Vanderbuilt (or Emory).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was this close to going there. I loved the great books approach. Are you in New Mexico or Annapolis campus?

Annapolis. I'm starting my senior year, and I already have terrible senioritis, because at this stage of my life I just want to be pounding out those pre-med requirements, but I do love the school, it's been a great experience. I love how small the classes are and I love our wacky approach to the sciences. I thought I wanted to go into the law until I got to St John's and took freshman lab. Chick embryo dissections made me fall in love with biology all over again, and the rest is history.

Annapolis. I'm starting my senior year, and I already have terrible senioritis, because at this stage of my life I just want to be pounding out those pre-med requirements, but I do love the school, it's been a great experience. I love how small the classes are and I love our wacky approach to the sciences. I thought I wanted to go into the law until I got to St John's and took freshman lab. Chick embryo dissections made me fall in love with biology all over again, and the rest is history.

Solid. I got to sit in a couple classes a couple years back. I just loved the approach. Do geometry in greek, learn science from albert einstein. Just awesome. I was really interested in it since I had read most of the great books in high school for funsies.

Now im an engineer :( Big turnaround

Well I just want to point out that your state school experience may not reflect that of other schools. For example, if you're at UNC for your state school, that's a pretty top notch state school and has multiple leading researchers. On the other hand, some of your local CSU schools aren't quite as wonderful (and plenty of the UC's as well). My friends at UNR have told me that the opportunities there really aren't very good.

This isn't a pitch for private over state schools, but just pointing out that there can be very notable differences in the quality of one's state school depending on the state.

True...my state school wouldn't be considered top tier, though. It's a good school, but not UNC or UMich good. And it is the flagship state school, which probably makes a difference.

U of H just got tier 1 status this year. I was going around U of H campus and they had huge billboards advertising their newly found tier 1 status. Ofcourse being from Rice myself I was quite amused :p

Who decides what "tier" a school is in? Like, where's the cutoff? :confused:

True...my state school wouldn't be considered top tier, though. It's a good school, but not UNC or UMich good. And it is the flagship state school, which probably makes a difference.

its basically like how much research dollars the school gets and how well their research does in the field.

US News and World Report appointed themselves the arbiters of the quality of higher education, and since the majority of colleges and universities in the US have decided to play along, people pay attention. It's a load of crock, but status still matters jusssst enough for people to submit to the ranking system.

its basically like how much research dollars the school gets and how well their research does in the field.

US News and World Report appointed themselves the arbiters of the quality of higher education, and since the majority of colleges and universities in the US have decided to play along, people pay attention. It's a load of crock, but status still matters jusssst enough for people to submit to the ranking system.

Well, yeah, I get that USNWR ranks colleges, but I'm still confused about the definition of a tier. Like, are the top 50 ranked schools considered Tier 1? Or is it the first 100? Or what?

Well, yeah, I get that USNWR ranks colleges, but I'm still confused about the definition of a tier. Like, are the top 50 ranked schools considered Tier 1? Or is it the first 100? Or what?

Its just a ranking based on money and silly stuff like that. Tier 1 ones are supposed to be "super" awesome. I dont really buy it.

In Texas its now:Texas, A&M,Rice, Houston. Tech is still angry they dont get that status. Tier status also affects how schools get money here. The big 2, UT and A&M get a load of money from the state thanks to their tier status

Its just a ranking based on money and silly stuff like that. Tier 1 ones are supposed to be "super" awesome. I dont really buy it.

In Texas its now:Texas, A&M,Rice, Houston. Tech is still angry they dont get that status. Tier status also affects how schools get money here. The big 2, UT and A&M get a load of money from the state thanks to their tier status

I still don't understand how you know which schools are Tier 1!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I still don't understand how you know which schools are Tier 1!! :laugh:

In a nut shell, Big research schools with tons of moneys. There are some exceptions to this rule, but its a good broad rule of thumb for a big portion of them

In a nut shell, Big research schools with tons of moneys. There are some exceptions to this rule, but its a good broad rule of thumb for a big portion of them

Yeah I get WHY schools are considered "top tier". But is there like a list of them or what? Like, schools 1 through 50 on USNWR are "tier 1". Schools 51-100 are "tier 2". It's the logistics of the tier system I don't understand, not the rationale behind it.

University of Arizona. While, it is primarily known for the outrageous partying and attractive individuals who go here, the sciences are not a joke. Our faculty in the Microbiology department are fantastic and there is a substantial amount of fascinating research that goes on here. :D

Last edited:
Yeah I get WHY schools are considered "top tier". But is there like a list of them or what? Like, schools 1 through 50 on USNWR are "tier 1". Schools 51-100 are "tier 2". It's the logistics of the tier system I don't understand, not the rationale behind it.

I found this:

What are First and Second tiers, and why are the schools listed alphabetically in the Second Tier and not number ranked?

U.S. News publishes the numbered rankings of approximately the top 75 percent of schools in each of the categories. The remaining schools are placed in the bottom, or Second Tier, based on their overall score in their category, and listed alphabetically.

Tier 2 is approximately the bottom next 25 percent of schools that are just beneath the numbered ranked schools in the top three-fourths in terms of their rankings in that category. In other words, schools listed in Tier 2 are ranked lower than all those that numerically ranked. In that particular ranking category of schools the Tier 2 schools are the lowest ranked.

We believe that the data are complete enough to numerically rank schools in the top 75 percent of each category, given our robust methodology. Another key reason we can rank that many schools is that the quality of the data we collect has improved over the years, so that it is now rich enough to rank more schools numerically. This change will also reduce ranking volatility, since far fewer schools will now drop in and out of the numerical rankings in any given year.

Schools in Tier 2 are not numerically ranked since the data is not as complete and we want the numerical rankings to emphasize the top schools.

I think when people talk about prestige, they are usually referring to the top 25 tho

Okay eff that it's top 3 or bust. :D

I think prestige is much much more relevant in other fields where networking predominates (business, politics, law), where you would have access to thousands of extremely well-off alum who can open doors for you that would otherwise be entirely close to a fresh college grad. Also important are the types of companies that recruit at the undergrad--for instance if someone were really intent on going into i-banking, or at least wants it to be an option should the need arise, HYPS, Columbia, Wharton etc. would easily give them the most opportunities, both in terms of how actively recruiting goes and how much support you get from alum and the undergrad. I know for at least a couple of consulting firms and banks, they have alum from the undergrad head the recruiting process for that undergrad, so having a lot of pre-existing connections already in the field is really helpful.

For us prestige is pretty much useless... :/

I think prestige is much much more relevant in other fields where networking predominates (business, politics, law), where you would have access to thousands of extremely well-off alum who can open doors for you that would otherwise be entirely close to a fresh college grad. Also important are the types of companies that recruit at the undergrad--for instance if someone were really intent on going into i-banking, or at least wants it to be an option should the need arise, HYPS, Columbia, Wharton etc. would easily give them the most opportunities, both in terms of how actively recruiting goes and how much support you get from alum and the undergrad. I know for at least a couple of consulting firms and banks, they have alum from the undergrad head the recruiting process for that undergrad, so having a lot of pre-existing connections already in the field is really helpful.

I think with he way the job market and economy is, it goes beyond just business, politics, and law. Having a good alumni base in the other fields such as engineering is proving to be a boon for a lot of graduates. Schools like GT and Mines come to mind as schools who might not be top 3, but whose "prestige" in engineering lets their students find jobs even in this horrible economy.

I thought it was always called nys college of ag, but I graduated from arts, so you're probably right, it just sounded funny...

technically, its the college of agriculture and life sciences at suny cornell.

haha, it is funny

I think with he way the job market and economy is, it goes beyond just business, politics, and law. Having a good alumni base in the other fields such as engineering is proving to be a boon for a lot of graduates. Schools like GT and Mines come to mind as schools who might not be top 3, but whose "prestige" in engineering lets their students find jobs even in this horrible economy.

I agree with this. Networking goes a long way in any profession; I was just thinking of fields that are most candid and systematic about it. Having a prestigious name on your resume always helps though. I don't know how true this is elsewhere but at the "top" universities you're taught that any cover letter should mention the name of the university within the first four words.

A private school in Connecticut. It's also an ivy..

Last edited:

I'm from annapolis and I thought St John's was entirely humanities. Jeeze...all these years.

A very good community college.

Students in the US who turn their noses up at community colleges tend to be students who are willing to take AP courses and exams. The community college courses I've taken are significantly better than those.

Isn't it assumed that a college course would be significantly better than an AP course?? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. :confused:

Indiana University.

I don't see where people come off saying their state school is "prestigious". There are exceptions like Michigan or something, but it seems to me that almost everyone here is claiming prestige. I do not think that IU is prestigious, but I think it is a solid public institution and better than many other state schools.

Top 10 undergrad (ivy). Though ultimately it may have been overrated, i would've saved a lot more money at my state school, ucla

That is how I felt when I considered going to Notre Dame. Undergrad is what YOU make of it.

Where's my NYU colleagues at? We have no school pride =[ haha.

I believe some people would have a higher expectation for the AP course compared to a college course at a community college.

I think the main advantage of an AP course is that you get to take it during HS instead of regular HS classes...

Also actually my AP classes were ridiculously hard and taught me a lot. My psycho AP chem prof actually forced us to memorise all the amino acids and some 20 sugars. It was terrible but prepared me perfectly for ochem & biochem

I think prestige also matters for med school admissions. The degree that it matters and whether it is worth the 40k+ extra tuition dollars you pay to attend a top 15 University is based on a case by case/individual decision. Med school admissions results at top 15 schools can boast admission rates in the 70-80%s whereas state schools can boast 50% at best. I know that WashU, JHU, Cornell, Duke, and Emory all posts these statistics online (too lazy to find them right now).

I go to SUNY Old Westbury, its pretty obscure; you've probably never heard of it.

Yup, I have friends that go there. Do you go to the Varsity alot?

Oh cool, we go sometimes but there are a lot of other places that are better, this one place called Goodfella's right by the Varsity we go to more often. Varsity is sorta overrated...

Oh cool, we go sometimes but there are a lot of other places that are better, this one place called Goodfella's right by the Varsity we go to more often. Varsity is sorta overrated...

Lol, I just know it's across Tech from the Food Network. Yeah, one of my friend said he went to the Pie in the sky and tried the Carnivore challenge.

a small liberal arts college in NY, but I'm transfering to Binghamton University next year.

I visited (when I was visiting the ATL for Emory), but after the third Star Wars joke made on the tour in under five minutes, I just left. Cool school, but way too big and very nerdy.
I lol'd.

Also... I'm a Gator.

I visited (when I was visiting the ATL for Emory), but after the third Star Wars joke made on the tour in under five minutes, I just left. Cool school, but way too big and very nerdy.

Hahahaha, we're not nearly that nerdy, I feel like you just had an uber-nerd for a tour guide. That being said, we sort of embrace our 'nerd school' stereotype and have our fair share of nerdy kids but like I wouldn't describe our student body as nerdy unsocial geeks.

A friend of mine actually said he liked it here better after visiting Penn cause he thought the people there were weird o.o

Just a regular 'ole state uni for me. Can't beat the price, especially when you rely on loans. I actually love my school and see no reason to pay more for undergrad than necessary. Go Panthers!

Honestly, that didn't turn me off of the school. What did was the heavy engineering presence, the fact that they heavily recommended doing a co-op in the info session and the size. I liked the campus and the location though (plus they had a ton of stuff geared towards making students happy).

I have to say, it is funny though whenever you go to the gym here and you see some jacked guy in a cutoff, but the cutoff is a shirt that says math team or physics club. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

University of South Carolina - I can't wait to call myself an alumni in December when I graduate! It was the only school I wanted to go to when I was little and that didn't change when I graduated from high school!!!! Never considered our other big state school Clemson.

Wayne State :/ it's a school, although sometimes i'm not 100% sure. Anyways, I do not think the prestige of the school is a major factor in medical school admissions. GPA, MCAT score, and a genuine passion for medicine are what make a difference. Don't believe me? Ask your neighborhood physician, chances are he did not go to an ivy league institution for either undergrad or medical school.

University of Missouri - Kansas City (UMKC) - Undergraduate
Future: UMKC School of Medicine