Where Do You Plan To Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In industry? community pharmacy? hospital? academic?

Can you state why you chose that route and how much do you expect to make?

I'm personally stuck with community pharmacy for loan repayment reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

institute for pharm policy, but perhaps in industry still in administrative policy though (hopefully.........)

Originally posted by Heyyyyy
In industry? community pharmacy? hospital? academic?

Can you state why you chose that route and how much do you expect to make?

I'm personally stuck with community pharmacy for loan repayment reasons.

Try not to think of it that way. You're not "stuck" anywhere. By the time you graduate, the salaries will most likely be higher, and hospitals and industry will be forced to offer money comparable to that which can be found in retail.

Part of the whole pharmacy appeal is that you can get a job doing so many different things. Do you really think that the 10 or 20k (before taxes) is going to make such a significant difference in your life? If you made a 3 year commitment to get 20k, don't you think that it would be possible to actually LOSE money, since nobody can predict what pharmacists will be paid 2 or 3 years from now? I would highly caution against any commitment, and I'd do one year at the max. I work with pharmacists who are literally counting the days until they can leave retail, although sometimes it's a very fun and rewarding place to be. Just be sure that you know EXACTLY which store they're going to put you in, and go work there as an intern if necessary just to check it out. Look before you leap, and keep an open mind about other job possibilities.

There are also things to look at besides salary and loan repayment. I have a friend who took a job with advance PCS. Not only does he get to travel, but he basically works from home most of the time, gets about 90k salary, and they offer a $500/month stipend for a car. I'm sure that they also have other benefits too (probably good health insurance, since it's an insurance company). He also has enough time to work retail on some of his days off for extra cash. There are tons of great jobs out there, just keep your mind and eyes open.

Jd

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with jd. Community pharmacy can be hella cool. Particularly if the community isn't saturated w/chains. You quicly become an extremely important member of the community. Honestly, the role you play for many is incalculable. If you enjoy the interraction and pt counseling that is.

I originally thought that I'd do hospital (staff or clinical). But I've decided that I'd be cheating myself if I didn't take the opportunity while in Pharm school to look into other career pathways. So, for now, I can't state what route I'd choose. There are so many opportunities available to PharmDs...I owe it to myself to discover them. I could care less, really, about loan repayment programs. I just want to do something I enjoy doing. That's more important to me ;)

Jd: What is your friend's "title" at AdvancePCS...just curious :)

thanks jdpharmd. I was just assuming. Maybe, i might get an excellent offer down the road. I constantly worry about loans(i hate loans period.) Sometimes, i think of applying to a 4-year state school but then i will loose 2-years (2006 as opposed to 2008). Anyway, loans suck.