Where do you put your nametag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where do you put your nametag?

• Total voters

Soapbox123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my interviews, I noticed a distinct trend. In the northeast, the nametag went on the right lapel. In the midwest, the nametag went on the left lapel. No one ever put it around the waist.

The logic in the northeast was that people can see your nametag more easily when you shake hands with them.

Where do YOU put your nametag?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm from the east coast and I wore my name tag on the left lapel. I also preferred the tags with safety pins over those clips. :thumbup:

Left lapel. Since the embroidery w/my name, department, etc. is on the right chest of my white coat, the name tag would cover it if I wore it on the right. When I head into the OR, I clip my name tag on the waist of my scrub pants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I clip it to my waist. I've taken my white coat off countless times and locked myself out of the OR or ICU (our name badges act as access cards). I don't mind people looking at my crotch and when people tell me I should put it where it is more easily visible its ussually right after they do something I ask them to do and they realize Im a medical student and being rude to me was the option they would have prefered.

Agree with above poster. Goes on my waist.

The pocket on my coat is on the left side, so it goes there. When I'm going in and out of the SICU or ORs, I put it on the scrub top pocket...which is on the left side as well. Sometimes its on my waist, but with the pager and phone there as well, it has a tendency to get knocked off, so I prefer the chest pocket.

With coat on - left breast coat pocket, below where my name and dept is embroidered...

With coat off - left hip, tacked down by my pager, so it doesn't fly off...

My badge goes on the left lapel. The logic? I guess because I'm right handed! :p