1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jwin, Oct 7, 2002.

1. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i am leaving for my first interview tomorrow at IU (my state school). i am pretty sure that if not at this interview at other interviews i am sure the question "where do you see yourself in 10 years" will come up.
    i am shamelessly clueless as to where i could possibly be in 10 years.
    i thought i could be in these places:
    -near the end of a residency program that offers time to do research
    -working at a hospital affiliated with a academic/research institution
    -working at large city/urban hospital
    -rural practice
    -working in low income areas/underserved
    -private practice

PLEASE HELP!! what are other options? I would like to be working at a hospital with research/academic affiliate but i would like to know what are other places a physician could be!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you just answered your own question! ;) I don't think there really is a right answer to this one - just be honest about what you want in your life!

4. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

You could always take the personal aspect too... married, kids, suburbs, etc... ;)

5. delayofgame

delayofgame Membership Revoked
    Removed

...under a bridge or on a bench, eatin outta dupmsters,..probably on the beach in Calif, its warm there, nice scenery, women, booze, music...sounds better 'N med school, eh??

6. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There's no correct answer. Just pick what you want to do and state it! If it's academic, then talk about your academic career. If you want to work for the underserved, then say that.

I told them I'd be in residency working my tail off in 10 yrs...

Hey... I'm here now. FYI, you might be thinking why is he writing at 2 AM then if he's working so hard... we'll it turns out that I'm stuck here because there's been: one open globe due to wooden projectile in the right eye, orbital fracture due to man falling from a roof, consult in the MICU for "eyes popping out", GSW to the head, and post-op pressure is too high so I have to wait for the retinal fellow to tap. I'm just tired and ranting now....

Just be honest so that you can support your answer!!!