where do you want to be a doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennyboy5406

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
where do you eventually wana be a doctor? fast paced city?..rural area?

Members don't see this ad.

Rural for me. I like the peace and quiet of the outdoors, not the hustle and bustle of city life. I'm even bummed I have to live in a city for the next 7 years or so while I'm in med school.

MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston TX as an oncologist

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm leaning toward rural as well, but it really depends on if I fall in love with a specialty that I need to practice in a more urban area.

City or right outside one. Rural would be too much of a cultural shock, methinks. Of course, the compensation is much better out there in the rural areas, I'll sacrifice that for location.

I'd have to say the city. Things would be more exciting and I just enjoy living in cities. Pittsburgh would be amazing for me.

I just love the idea of city life..while being a doctor..you work all day then go home to your oh so close condo on the 10th floor of some swank condominium and all ammenities are at your disposal..bars/clubs/ PEOPLE!! particularly the opportunity to meet more people in your life and what not .

city for sure...with a summer home somewhere for those 2 days of vacation i'll get once a year

Small town. 20-30 min from a major city but isolated enough to be peaceful.

Posh city suburb. The place I'm living in right now is one of the best places to live in the country and I can see why. I definitely want to live and practice here following residency.

Posh city suburb. The place I'm living in right now is one of the best places to live in the country and I can see why. I definitely want to live and practice here.

this just begs the question...where?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rural, but within a reasonable distance from a large city if I wanna get away for a weekend. For example, right now I live 2-2.5 hours away from a major city, and it works pretty well. There are also some nice small towns in between that feel very rural and isolated despite being just an hour away from a city with a million people, which is pretty typical of Alberta. You'll be driving through the rolling hills with no tree and nothing but cows in sight, and all of sudden this huge city springs up out of nowhere.:eek: :laugh:

I live in a suberb now. After living most of my life in the boonies, I can't help but look at my successful neighbor who has a nice house, beautiful family, two cars, and a boat all on a half acre surrounded by hundreds of other houses and people and think: Is that really what I want? The answer for me is always "no". I want to go back and start living like Robinson Crusoe.

I live in a suberb now. After living most of my life in the boonies, I can't help but look at my successful neighbor who has a nice house, beautiful family, two cars, and a boat all on a half acre surrounded by hundreds of other houses and people and think: Is that really what I want? The answer for me is always "no". I want to go back and start living like Robinson Caruso.
Caruso is an Italian tenor.:laugh:

I think you meant Crusoe.:p :hardy:

Caruso is an Italian tenor.:laugh:

I think you meant Crusoe.:p :hardy:

My mistake....actually, no...I would like to live like Crusoe and Caruso. Now that would be the life.

Detroit for me. No matter where I go to med school I'm pretty sure I wanna come back here. Strange as it may seem I love this city. But who knows, stuff may change.

San Francisco, Bay Area. Diverse community, great weather, not too crowded, what is there to dislike?

I've never tried that! Heard it's good, though.
jochi, I hope that you interview or train in California at some point. Because if you don't try In-n-Out, I can't be your friend any more. God's rule, not mine.

Either Orange County, or Los Angeles ... Need the So Cal life:thumbup:

San Francisco, Bay Area. Diverse community, great weather, not too crowded, what is there to dislike?

Do you live in the same SF/Bay area that's in Northern California? Or is this a SF/Bay area that is completely opposite from the SF/Bay area I know?

Do you live in the same SF/Bay area that's in Northern California? Or is this a SF/Bay area that is completely opposite from the SF/Bay area I know?

Yeah, Northern California!

It never snows, never gets over 80 degrees, San Francisco is a meager seven hundred thousand people. I can't stand places like Tokyo, Seoul, and New York where you can't move around when you walk on the street.

I enjoy rural life, gardening, and keeping my stock of animals. It's a break from the rest of the day. Unfortunately, I think that's probably in contrast to where I want to practice. I want to work in academic medicine, at a hospital with a great research program. Oh well, there's a lot I like about cities, too.

i love my city...good ol' houston, texas...i want to work in the methodist hospitol in texas medical center...

the same hospitol where my 62 year old father went though quadruple by-pass surgery after having a heart attack...

i practically lived in the hospitol for over a month and i saw and so much in that one month that i can't see myself practicing medicine anywhere else...

I like to be in the city...

I'll like to be in the city...

Dont take this the wrong way, but some men will find you attractive....

To respond to the thread ...... a city where there a girls like sharmei, while traveling around to south america, africa and other underdeveloped countries. :thumbup:

I'd like to live out in the 'country' where I can have a nice house and a decent amount of land. However, I still want to have neighbors that aren't a mile down the road, I'd like to work in a hospital that is always crazy busy, and being female- I need a big city nearby! I am personally head over heels in love with Austin, TX.

Virginia in Hampton Roads of course but not too city somewhere inbetween.

I'd like to work as a doctor in a big beautiful city that is very progressive (read: liberal) and possibly on the coast. Not sure what weather I enjoy most (cool and sunny or overcast, etc) but I'll get back to you when I know. I just need to get the hell out of Texas. :)

I'll vote city as well, just as long as it has good weather and is near either a lake or an ocean. Is that too much to ask? :rolleyes:

somewhere midwest or northeast, large city, working in a level I trauma center

I'd like to work as a doctor in a big beautiful city that is very progressive (read: liberal)

that would just be the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake for me ;) lol

I want to be in the good old KY. There are plenty of places that offer the comfort of rural living (like forests, great jogging trails, bike trails, etc.) while being only a few minutes from a bigger city like Lexington, or a true big city like Louisville. I just hope it works out that way, but we'll see.

East Coast. Big city while I'm young...suburbs when I'm older. I like having seasons! And lots of hustle and bustle.

I'm surprised nobody has said NYC yet! Real estate too pricey for ya?

Vera18 & Vvandenn:
You guys might consider Sacramento OR somewhere in Orange County?

it's disgusting and their fries taste like the smell of cardboard.

In 'N' Out is disgusting! Their fries are small bags of grease and their burgers are unnaturally salty (more than McDonalds...if you can believe it). For some unknown reason, SoCal natives can't make it through their week w/o a double-double animal style?!? Also, you get the pleasure of a see-through drive-thru so that you can watch as the 16-year-olds pick their noses and dip your meal in fat bins. um yum!

Vera18 & Vvandenn:
You guys might consider Sacramento OR somewhere in Orange County?

I'll look into those, thanks. :) Does anyone else have any suggestions?