Where does all that tuition money go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting-- but the article didn't discriminate between the doctors' own fees versus their academic salary.

Neither of the two Columbia doctors mentioned, for example, are very senior in their departments. It's not the university's money.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is interesting...
I agree with blonde doc though that this isn't really tuition money that they are getting. HOWEVER, it does underscore the fact that these universities with their huge endowments and massive financial resources could charge substantially less tuition for med school than they do. I mean, they could charge 20,000 a year and do just fine. That might not be true for Rosalind Franklin, but it certainly is at places like Harvard, Emory and Vanderbilt. The private med schools know what the going rate is for tuition, and what the stafford loan maximum is. The university board of regents likely sets the tuition each year taking into account these factors and others...

PeepshowJohnny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is interesting...
I agree with blonde doc though that this isn't really tuition money that they are getting. HOWEVER, it does underscore the fact that these universities with their huge endowments and massive financial resources could charge substantially less tuition for med school than they do. I mean, they could charge 20,000 a year and do just fine. That might not be true for Rosalind Franklin, but it certainly is at places like Harvard, Emory and Vanderbilt. The private med schools know what the going rate is for tuition, and what the stafford loan maximum is. The university board of regents likely sets the tuition each year taking into account these factors and others...

I guarantee if Harvard doubled its tuition for next years class this year, they'd still fill their medical school class. Not to say they're not an excellent school and afford their students, incredible opportunities, but premeds (as exemplified by Pre-allo) are obsessed with prestige of medical school. You get people who think "If I don't go to Harvard/other top school, I'll never match into *Blank*"

BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thing is, even though we're paying out the nose, our tuition does not actually cover our costs. Our direct costs, that is. Even though this argument has been made time and time again (that reducing tuition will ease the debt burden, thus increasing the %age of those choosing primary care/lower-paying subspecialties; that it will enable the middle class to attend private medical schools instead up people at the two extremes of the SE spectrum; etc) administrations always smugly point to the fact that they're subsidizing our educations.

gryffindor

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing how Vanderbilt made every list in that article, now it makes sense why they had to cancel three Holiday/Housestaff parties in December. :mad: