Where does gastrointestinal surgery belong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gastrointestinal surgery fascinates me, but I know it's not a specialty on its own. If I would like to do mainly GI procedures, would I have to be a GENERAL general surgeon or a colorectal surgeon?

And hey, I'm typing properly now!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on what you want to focus on.

A general surgeon will do gastrointestinal procedures, but also non-GI cases.

A colorectal surgeon will do GI procedures focusing on the lower GI tract.

A surgical oncologist will do gastrointestinal procedures, and may focus on upper GI (esoph and stomach), lower GI, pancreas, hepatobiliary, etc.

A Minimally Invasive (laparoscopic) surgeon will do GI cases, but using MIS techniques (although must know how to do the open cases as well).

So the "field" of gastrointestinal surgery encompasses a lot of surgical specialties and can be approached from many training standpoints.

That depends on what you want to focus on.

A general surgeon will do gastrointestinal procedures, but also non-GI cases.

A colorectal surgeon will do GI procedures focusing on the lower GI tract.

A surgical oncologist will do gastrointestinal procedures, and may focus on upper GI (esoph and stomach), lower GI, pancreas, hepatobiliary, etc.

A Minimally Invasive (laparoscopic) surgeon will do GI cases, but using MIS techniques (although must know how to do the open cases as well).

So the "field" of gastrointestinal surgery encompasses a lot of surgical specialties and can be approached from many training standpoints.

I love you Winged Scapula!! :love:

You always have the best answers to my questions...and what I like even better is that you always answer my questions that nobody else seems to care about...hence only 1 reply and 40 something views for this thread lol

Thank youuu!!!!!:D:love:

Members don't see this ad :)