Where does the CSF protein come from in bacterial meningitis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IheartCaffeine

I really do.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What determines opening pressure?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

What determines opening pressure?

Thanks!!
It is caused by increased vessel permeability. The protein source is probably from serum protiens that leak into the CSFmembrane.

Just reading it, that's everywhere man (hard to name a spot where you read it) - but, while this isnt a formal journal, its on page 576 of Rapid Review (under bullet 4).

Members don't see this ad :)
Elevated albumin ratio, normal index, and no bands

The elevated CSF albumin/serum albumin indicates increased permeability of the blood brain barrier. This occurs most commonly in inflammatory or immune processes involving the CNS. The normal IgG index suggests no increased IgG synthesis in the CNS. However, increased permeability of the blood brain barrier can mask moderate increases in CNS IgG synthesis. No oligoclonal bands are seen in the gamma region.

From
http://dpalm.uth.tmc.edu/clinicalservices/Interps/CSFint.html

Not sure if this is the "correct" pathophys, but I had it explained to me that glucose decreases due to metabolism by bacteria and the WBC's in CSF and stays down due to dysfunction in glucose transporters into the CSF caused by the inflammation.

Not sure if this is the "correct" pathophys, but I had it explained to me that glucose decreases due to metabolism by bacteria and the WBC's in CSF and stays down due to dysfunction in glucose transporters into the CSF caused by the inflammation.

Yes! This is correct... figured that out a couple hrs after I posted as thats also what a bunch of my friends said.

+1, well said.