Where else should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THEChris137

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have a 3.3 cummulative gpa and a 2.98 (C in calc, my only C though) science. But those are really the only bad parts of my application. 10 BS, 11 VR and 11 PS on MCAT. I have research where I am part of a published abstract and submitted article. Volunteer at the hospital here, double major in bio and health science (think public health) at a med. sized highly selective liberal arts school thats only really known in the midwest. I joined the bio honor frat last year. I have gotten back two notifications that i won't get an interview (mizzou and U of Chicago (my dream school)). I also applied to:

Medical College of Wisconsin
Saint Louis University
Washington University (only b/c i have a letter from an alum)
Tulane University
Loyola (Chicago)
Rush
Northwestern
University of Illinois Chicago
Creighton

I am getting real nervous. Should I apply to other places? I know i had a couple reach schools, what schools do I have a better shot at. I am from MO.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's not past their deadlines, consider UUtah, UNDakota, and maybe Rosalind Franklin, but even better, considering your low GPA, some DO schools.

i will probably apply to 3 or 4 D.O., but i would really love to go MD. I realize that this is a long shot. Do I have a shot at any on my list. Is it worth it to apply to Rosalind Franklin? I have heard really bad things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that recent post also, and it gives a very unbalanced, biased view. It's an excellent school with a good match list, and many, many years have passed since it was on the probation list, and taken off again. Do a search and find some posts by RF students. They love it there. But don't apply unless you convince yourself it's a good school.

Aren't U Utah and U North Dakota extremely prejudiced against OOS students? I think I remember seeing something about UND using a 300 point scale of which 100 were awarded for residency.

What about university of Minnesota, Duluth? It might be a bit chilly, but I think I can deal with the cold.

Aren't U Utah and U North Dakota extremely prejudiced against OOS students? I think I remember seeing something about UND using a 300 point scale of which 100 were awarded for residency.

I know it may not be the most legitimate source but the spreadsheet you can get from these forums don't warn that those schools don't take many OOS

N Dakota takes 30% OOS
U Utah takes 25% OOS

Both are higher than UIllinois 22%

But it only takes 15% OOS.

Right, and after looking at it more I don't think I would be a good fit there. They highly focus on rural medicine, and I would much rather work in an urban setting. Which brings me to my dilemma with a DO. I know that legally and theoretically they are the same thing and you can do anything with either degree, and I really respect the DO philosophy. But I want to work in a urban setting, hopefully in surgery. I just don't know if that is practical with a DO. Any thoughts?

You can become a surgeon as a DO, and practice anywhere you wish. Your limiting factor is how well you do on the USMLE Step I and/or DO accrediting test. Many DO students take both, and apply to mixed (MD and DO) or MD residencies. There are also DO-only surgical residency programs. How well you do on these tests has less to do with what the school teaches, than with what you learn on your own. From my point of view, the biggest drawback to DO programs is needing to learn OMM, when many DOs don't practice that aspect of medicine once graduated. On the other hand, regardless of school, you have to learn histology and histologic pathology, and probably only pathologists will ever need to know that in practice.

Consider asking this question in the pre-osteo forum "What are my chances?" thread and see what they say, or do a search. You can probably find statistics somewhere there for the number of DO surgeons in practice.

If you are really against DO....you could always consider doing an SMP. They are usually catered towards people with your stats....low gpa and good mcats. If you do well in an SMP, it will pretty much erase your ugpa (most probably for that particular school's admission), but I'd do a bit more research on which ones you would like to go too.

If you are really against DO....you could always consider doing an SMP. They are usually catered towards people with your stats....low gpa and good mcats. If you do well in an SMP, it will pretty much erase your ugpa (most probably for that particular school's admission), but I'd do a bit more research on which ones you would like to go too.

Sorry, my ignorance is showing. SMP?