where (else?) to report observed egregious breaches of infection control in hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Not psych related, really, but figured some of you smart folks who work in/around hospitals might have some thoughts. I could report to health department's division of Health Service Regulation. Anywhere else you would report?

Situation: visiting someone in hospital (very small hospital, rural area, not that that matters). Directly observed 2 egregious breaches of infection control protocol that involve long fingernails poking holes through gloves while doing blood draw / IV (2 separate nurses, even, both of whom just kept right on going until I said something, and for an extra dash of fun, there's MRSA involved).

If this were in one of the hospital systems where I have been/am employed, I'd know how to report to compliance within the hospital,, but that's not the case here and I can't find the relevant info online. Would you call the hospital and ask to be connected to compliance somehow? Or is there something else I should consider?

ETA- initial post said I'd already reported it, but apparently my fax didn't go through, so love to hear opinions of how you'd approach from the point of not having reported to anyone yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What I would have done:

I'd call and introduce myself as "Dr. Soandso", and ask to be connected to the CEO. Then I'd tell him/her something like, "This is Dr. Soandso. I didn't want to formally report this, but I was visiting a friend and saw two instances of phlebotomists' nails poking through their gloves while drawing blood on a MRSA patient. Hope this can be fixed."

This type of move establishes you as:
1) someone important enough to have the CEO call back.
2) someone who "plays ball"
3) someone who the CEO will want to call back and make sure everything has been fixed. They tend to kiss you butt in this type of thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What I would have done:

I'd call and introduce myself as "Dr. Soandso", and ask to be connected to the CEO. Then I'd tell him/her something like, "This is Dr. Soandso. I didn't want to formally report this, but I was visiting a friend and saw two instances of phlebotomists' nails poking through their gloves while drawing blood on a MRSA patient. Hope this can be fixed."

This type of move establishes you as:
1) someone important enough to have the CEO call back.
2) someone who "plays ball"
3) someone who the CEO will want to call back and make sure everything has been fixed. They tend to kiss you butt in this type of thing.
Well, looks like that's still an option - apparently my fax didn't go through. I like your suggestion. Thank you.

ETA- left a message with his secretary, so guess I'll find out how that goes. I'll update when I do :)

Last edited: