Where has UNC-CH been?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Has anyone heard from UNC-Chapel Hill lately. My friend and I applied there (out of state) and aside from recieving a post card 3 months ago letting us know they have our applications we havent heard anything for months. Do they put aside their out of staters till the end?

Just curious, I would have thought if they didn't want me, by now I would have gotten a rejection letter.

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

I'm out of state also. I got a letter from them asking for my SSN, but thats all I've heard.

I'm in state and I haven't heard anything either, I called the other day and they said that my application was under review and that they had just received my August MCAT scores a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm out of state, and I got a secondary on Monday or Tuesday. It's due on the twenty-first; I should get on that.

I am also an out of state student, but I got an interview a month after I completed my secondary. I interviewed at UNC 2 years ago, when I was in-state in NC (I was rejected). I loved the school and am really hoping that they give me a chance!

Have any other out of staters interviewed at Chapel Hill? I know that my chances are slim, but I'd really like to know what the timeline is. I know they are slow on accepting/rejecting.

Actually, if you interviewed there this year (which it sounds like you did), you have a 50-50 shot of getting in. They interview 4 percent of out of staters, then accept half of them.

Thanks for the info--that is a little encouraging. Yes, I interviewed there a week and a half ago. I really would like to get in there--my family is in NC. The second interviewer I had barely looked at my file, but told me that "the out of state candidates are usually from a much higher pool". What does that mean? My stats are OK, not "much higher".

Well, all I know is that if you are out of state, they only send you a secondary if they want to interview you. And, as I said, they only do this with 4 percent of the pool. As to what criteria they use, I don't really know. Maybe your family ties/previous residency played into it somehow. I sent in my secondary on 12/18, so I guess I'll hear about an interview sometime in January.

I got an interview invite for late Jan for the MD/PhD program. However I decided to decline it. The MD/PhD program does not give preference to state residency (I'm also out of state) so I'm not sure how the regular MD program handles out of state applicants.