Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Where have all the Cardiothoracic Surgeons gone?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by DZT, May 10, 2002.

1. DZT

DZT Senior Member

Do thoracic surgeons operate on the heart itself or only on blood vessels and lungs? Why are there so few Cardiothoracic surgeons; I look in the directories as find few cardiothoracic surgons, but instead thoracic surgeons. Is it a subspecialty?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I am unaware of there being a current distinct Fellowship in Thoracic Surgery vs Cardiac only. Most programs (despite it being listed in FREIDA as Thoracic Surgery) offer a combined Cardiothoracic Surgery fellowship leading to Board Certification.

A CT residency would include the following:

Surgery of the chest wall, lungs and pleura,
    trachea and bronchi,mediastinum, diaphragm, esophagus,congenital heart disease,acquired heart disease,cardiac arrhythmias,valvular heart disease, trauma to all of the preceding, cardiac transplantation,lung transplantation, heart-lung transplantation, ECMO, bronchoscopy, esophogoscopy and pacemakers.

Hope this helps.

BTW, moving to The Lounge.

4. droliver

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    There are fellowships around in non-cardiac thoracic surgery @ a handful of programs (including Sloan Memorial & MD Anderson). At present there is no noncardiac-thoracic board, but there may very well be with in the next few years according to my professor on the RRC board.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Not sure why I moved this to The Lounge...it belongs in Rotations and Residencies. I'll move it THERE... :)