Where is it easier to get a residency in general, honestly-- US or Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDJatt here

Please help me out in this. I know its a very vague question but still I want to have an idea about that.

Members don't see this ad.

MDJatt here said:
Please help me out in this. I know its a very vague question but still I want to have an idea about that.

The U.S. takes thousands of foreign medical graduates every year and Canada takes only a few. It is much easier to get a residency in the U.S.

MDJatt here said:

The above post is correct. Canada has nearly a 1:1 ratio of medical graduates to postgraduate medical positions.

In 2005:

19,760 PGY1 positions were filled

72 Filled by Canadians
3087 Filled by Non U.S foreign medical graduates
1203 Filled by US residents from foreign med schools and 5th pathway

4362 Total Non U.S. medical

So 22% of all the new interns in the U.S. in 2005 are Foreign medical graduates!

The data is from this table:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table2_05.pdf

I've found out first-hand today that McGill imports a large number of residents from the Middle East *outside* the CaRMS match (the countries pay for it), just to have enough manpower. This is due to the goverment severely restricting the number of match slots. :mad: :mad: :mad: Frigging ridiculous. There's 3-5 spots for peds at a program that'd be at least 15 in the US. There's no question Canada is *way* more difficult, even for someone like me who was born and raised in Montreal. :(