Where is your home town

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutterkuchen

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received Iowa's application lately and it asks what I consider my home town to be. I was born in Iowa and lived there until I was 9. Then I moved to Illinois and lived there until I was 18. Since I was 18 I have lived in Missouri.

Can I say that my town in Iowa is my home town? I have not lived there for 15-20 years, but my father is there. I don't want to be unethical, but I do want to demonstrate strong ties to the state.

What does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JBJ
I received Iowa's application lately and it asks what I consider my home town to be. I was born in Iowa and lived there until I was 9. Then I moved to Illinois and lived there until I was 18. Since I was 18 I have lived in Missouri.

Can I say that my town in Iowa is my home town? I have not lived there for 15-20 years, but my father is there. I don't want to be unethical, but I do want to demonstrate strong ties to the state.

What does everyone think?

I think 9 years is enough. And they were childhood years. I'd say having a father there is a strong tie to the state. I don't know, what do you guys thing? My family moved when I was three and a half or so, so I wouldn't feel right saying my birthplace is my hometown, but I think for you, it could work. It'd be good if you can say something about your home town and your ties to it, perhaps.

If anyone saw that episode of The Andy Griffith Show, your home town is what you define it to be and what you can prove it to be... :)

-RA

IMO, you should put the town/state you truly consider to be home. If you go to an interview and someone asks you where you are from, where will you say? If you are in MO for school, but when you go 'home', home is in IL, you should say IL. If it's in IA, say IA.

Are you trying to do this to be considered in-state? IA may have some special considerations (i.e. having close family members living in IA might make you an Iowan) for purposes of in-state/out-of-state. If you used to be from IA (as you were), they may consider you as in-state even if you currently are not....or they may want you to have lived in IA for a certain period of time to be considered in-state. If this is your primary reason for wanting to put IA, I would call the admissions office and ask them how they define in- and out-of-state classifications. They will be able to tell you what's in your best interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Home is where the heart is.

My reasons are twofold. One I would just like to be accepted. I am interested in attending there. The other is that if I do get accepted, naturally I would like in-state tuition. My mother (who I lived with through high school) has moved and is no longer in my other "home town" in Illinois. When I go "home" to visit her, it is in a completely different city that where I have ever lived.

Mostly, I want to put an Iowa town in that field, but I do not want to be perceived as being pathetic. Since this is the only application that asks this, I assume that this is valuable.

Any other opinions?

9 years, especially of earliest childhood, and your father being there is plenty justification for considering it your 'home-town'. I definitely would put it were I in your situation. Given such substantial basis for the claim I doubt anyone could (or would) challenge it.