1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Where on the AMCAS should I put mission trips?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by strongboy2005, May 8, 2008.

1. strongboy2005

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all,

I am filling out my AMCAS at the moment and I'm wondering how I should input my church mission trips to Mexico. I have been going to Mexico every spring break since Spring 2005, and just recently returned from my fourth trip. I would like to add this to my AMCAS application, but I'm not sure where to put it.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    According to the AAMC website the 2009 application is not available. If you are filling in the 2008 application, it has been stated before that no information is carried over.

4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    In the experience section. Experience is:
    Volunteer, clinical or Volunteer, non-clinical depending on what you did there.

Put Spring 2005 - Spring 2008
    leave hours per week blank.
    In the free text section describe the nature of the trip (1 week, 10 days, 2 weeks whatever, each spring for 4 years. Describe what you did whether building, teaching, assisting, etc. Estimate the number of hours per week during the period you were abroad and put that in the text. If you put April 2005-March 2008 in the time frame section and write 50 hours per week it might be misinterpreted as 50 hours per week for 4 years and any adcom would know that is BS or inaccuracy.

5. strongboy2005

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh wow! I didn't know that, thank you.

Will the 2008 application still be available so I can copy/paste the info over to the 2009 application, or should I start saving the things I already have written?

6. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would start saving them. I am not sure, to be honest, if the link is taken down after 2009 is put up.

7. futuredrcrawfor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know rule of thumb is to start activities after HS graduation but I am wondering would a trip to work with orphans/children in Africa during March of Senior Year (HS) merit being on th EC's- it will be in my PS though very briefly- it is one of several international trips I have been on but the most life changing week of my life.

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    leave it in the PS. Are you going to put all your international trips in one spot on the application? If so, I'd put the start date as when you started the HS trip. Don't list hrs/wk but in the text section give the inclusive dates of each trip and describe it very briefly.

9. futuredrcrawfor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hadn't thought of doing them all as one- I have 2 different study abroad trips in college so I was looking at making each an activity since they are very different (but I have done so much that 15 spots is a little limiting!) thanks for the advice- that might be a better way to do it I have 4 international trips (2 missions in HS, 2 SA during college)