Where should I apply and to how many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmed786

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA 3.91
Science GPA 3.83
Non Science GPA 4.00

MCAT 1: PS 9 VR 10 BS 10 29Q
MCAT 2: PS 11 VR 8 BS 10 29R

Basic extracurricular and research things

Do I even stand a chance at MD school? If so where should I apply and to how many schools do you think is necessary?

State of residency is MI

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you have a chance. That 8 in VR is going to hurt you, but everything else seems good. Hopefully you have some good ECs. I'd apply pretty broadly if I were you- probably 20-25 schools at least. Don't shoot for many "top tier" schools unless one or two of them are dream schools. What state are you from? That can have a huge impact on competitiveness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA 3.91
Science GPA 3.83
Non Science GPA 4.00

MCAT 1: PS 9 VR 10 BS 10 29Q
MCAT 2: PS 11 VR 8 BS 10 29R

Basic extracurricular and research things

Do I even stand a chance at MD school? If so where should I apply and to how many schools do you think is necessary?
Of course you stand a chance, everyone does. The question is, how much of a chance? For that, you need to expand upon your extracurriculars, that is, your community service, research details, volunteering, clinical experience, etc. etc. Also, your state of residence would help greatly. If you live in California, things are going to be really tough for you, right from the onset.

Assuming strong ECs, LORs, well-written PS, and good interview skills, I think you have a good chance at three of your state schools (with Oakland). If they suit your interests, I'd also consider (with your LizzyM score of 69) to:

(%=OOS matriculants):

69/Loyola (55%), RFU (53%), UKen (30%), Creighton (89%), Albany (62%), SUNY Downstate (18%) Jefferson (60%), MCW (~65%)
68/UIllinois (27%), Buffalo (29%), Toledo (34%), Drexel (71%), Temple (52%), Vermont (72%), VCU (44%),
67/GWU (96%), FIU (21%), Louisville (25%), Tulane (83%), NYMC (67%), MUSC (22%), SCarolina (18%), EVMS (39%),
66/Rush (19%),
65/Commonweath MC (PA) (29%)