Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergraduate:
Biology major/Chemistry minor
cGPA = 3.21, sGPA = 2.91

Graduate:
M.S. in Integrative Biology (non-thesis option)
cGPA = 3.70, sGPA = 3.65

Cumulative GPAs:
cGPA = 3.30, sGPA = 3.09

MCAT:
508 (124/131/125/128)
Considering a re-take but would like to avoid the expense if possible.

Employment:
Worked 20-40 hours a week throughout undergrad as a store manager. Have been working full-time as a clinical research coordinator (mostly oncology, dermatology, and gastroenterology trials) throughout grad school. During undergrad, spent two semesters as a supplemental instructor for freshman biology.

Research:
No publications yet, but my graduate research focuses on histological changes in zebrafish when exposed to an environmental toxin at different temperatures. Lots of clinical research experience and training (GCP, IATA, etc).

Non-medical volunteering:
Have coached various youth baseball/basketball teams for my kids, served as a Girl Scout troop leader for two years, and am on my local ballet company’s board of directors.

Miscellaneous medical volunteering/certifications:
800 hours as a volunteer medical assistant and counselor at a family planning clinic
200 hours as a volunteer medical assistant at a local free clinic
CPR certified
Certified phlebotomist
Various medical trainings/certifications (blood-borne pathogens, EKG interpretation, autotransfusion)

Additional info:
Graduate scholarship recipient 2/3 semesters of graduate school
Female, white, over 30
First college graduate in my family, grew up in poverty in a rural area
Mother of 4 (1 born during undergrad)
Strong commitment to primary care (ideally a rural family medicine residency followed by an OB fellowship) reflected in my personal statement
Only applying to osteopathic schools
Would ideally like to stay in the South (Louisiana resident, want to practice here)
Do NOT retake the MCAT.

I suggest any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice! Is your objection to Wm Carey their religious affiliation? That’s the only one you don’t recommend that’s currently on my list.

Ideally I’m hoping for VCOM-La, but I know my sGPA is low and they seem to have strict cut-offs, so I’m not sure how realistic that is. I’m also interested in LECOM-Erie’s 3-year primary care pathway (and that cheap tuition), although that would require moving away.
Here's my objection to WCU. Has nothing to do with their religion:
VERY high attrition rates, and there is no data for COMLEX pass rates for takers for 2018-19, nor 2019-20. That's TWO years of data they're hiding. I choose those words carefully.

Interestingly, they have the median score for 2018 takers, and it's a good score....but where is the info for the pass rate? And the 2019 cycle median???

I recommend staying away from brand new schools (ie, those that haven't graduated a class yet). It's takes time for the Faculty to get and deliver a coherent curriculum, rotation spots are always labile, they're grads are unknown quantities to PDs, they tend to have fewer resources to help struggling students, and they have higher attrition, Board failure rates, lower Boards score medians, and delays to graduation due to having to admit weaker students.

When a school says they have a cut-off, they mean it.

Ah thanks, that makes sense for William Carey.

I did speak to VCOM and they said if an applicant has over 140 earned hours, they will re-evaluate their GPA to determine whether or not they meet the cut-offs. I’m not sure exactly how that works, but I’m assuming they want to see good grad/post-bacc grades and a strong upward trend.

Any thoughts about me applying to the two LSU MD programs? I wasn’t planning to apply MD at all because of my GPA and some good experiences I’ve had with an osteopathic physician, but the LSU campuses have such a strong in-state preference that I’m wondering if it would be worth a shot (I was also employed by one of their residency locations for a while). Unfortunately I don’t qualify for the 32-hour policy at LSU New Orleans because some of the classes in my master’s program were in the Agriculture and Environmental Science departments, not just BCPM credits.

Again, thanks so much for the help! I’m trying to avoid wasting money during the application process and only apply to realistic programs.
Chances for MD best at LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.