where should I apply for MD: 27O and 3.733 from NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NiNfus21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from NYU with a biochemistry major and a math minor. I am a reapplicant (had to withdraw my primary app after receiving a 22M). This cycle I submitted my primary app at the end of July and got back my mcat score today (August 9, 2011)

cGPA: 3.733
sGPA>3.733
MCAT: 11 PS, 6VR, 10BS (27O)
I am not willing to take the mcat again and want to finish applying this cycle.
*I have above average Voluntary/clinical experience..some leadership experience and good shadowing experiences
*Great LORs
*1 year research at NYUSOM
My dream is to get into any medical school in the US. However, I will add a few DO schools for safety. I know I require a miracle to get into an mD program with my verbal score. I am looking at the following in-state schools: Hofstra, New York Medical College, buffalo, downstate
Out of State: Meharry in (TN), Mercer and Morehouse in (GA), Florida State University, Howard Univercity (DC)
What do you think about my list? Can you suggest some MD schools (in/out of state) which might have the slightest chances of accepting me?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from NYU with a biochemistry major and a math minor. I am a reapplicant (had to withdraw my primary app after receiving a 22M). This cycle I submitted my primary app at the end of July and got back my mcat score today (August 9, 2011)

cGPA: 3.733
sGPA>3.733
MCAT: 11 PS, 6VR, 10BS (27O)
I am not willing to take the mcat again and want to finish applying this cycle.
*I have above average Voluntary/clinical experience..some leadership experience and good shadowing experiences
*Great LORs
*1 year research at NYUSOM
My dream is to get into any medical school in the US. However, I will add a few DO schools for safety. I know I require a miracle to get into an mD program with my verbal score. I am looking at the following in-state schools: Hofstra, New York Medical College, buffalo, downstate
Out of State: Meharry in (TN), Mercer and Morehouse in (GA), Florida State University, Howard Univercity (DC)
What do you think about my list? Can you suggest some MD schools (in/out of state) which might have the slightest chances of accepting me?
Are you black?

Your VR is an app-killer for MD. It seems like you'll be wasting your money applying MD. A 6 is low for DO schools as well, TBH. Most will screen you out immediately for the 6

i'm Bengali :( so there's no hope for MD then? i still want to give it a shot just for my own satisfaction. What say?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm Bengali :( so there's no hope for MD then? i still want to give it a shot just for my own satisfaction. What say?

Honestly, you're probably going to get immediately screened out for most DO schools with your VR of 6. The 6 will almost certainly be a deal-breaker for all MD schools. Per one adcom I've spoken with, the research on the MCAT apparently shows a that students w/ <7 on the VR have a significantly worse chance of success in medical school and/or medicine in general.

Honestly, you need to retake. The fact that you're from Bengali might have excused a 7-9 VR (which wouldn't be great but does not have the same "WHOAH, COWBOY!" effect that a 6 or lower has), but it likely won't really help with a VR of 6. Basically, your choices are really: retake the MCAT or go podiatry (I don't consider the Carib a choice... just like I don't consider suicide a choice -- they are basically the same thing in terms of the effect on your career/future*).

*That was hyperbole... in case you didn't catch it (for those of you who do not know that word -- replace it with "sarcasm" and the statement will work that way too)

Retaking the mcat would mean that I would have to wait for the next cycle to apply. That would be my THIRD time taking the mcat. Don't medical schools see that negatively anyways? Moreover, if I manage to not boost my verbal score drastically for the Third time it would diminish all my chances, right?

I am looking at the following in-state schools: Hofstra, New York Medical College, buffalo, downstate

The bolded schools are HBCs. Unless you've done some amazing work with the black community, you probably won't fit in at those schools.

All of your OOS schools are bad choices. As whatyousay said, Meharry, Mercer, Morehouse, and Howard won't accept you unless you're black or have extremely significant interaction with poor and underserved communities, especially black communities.

And Florida State is a bad idea to apply OOS. They had 0 OOSers matriculate there per the latest MSAR

Retaking the mcat would mean that I would have to wait for the next cycle to apply. That would be my THIRD time taking the mcat. Don't medical schools see that negatively anyways? Moreover, if I manage to not boost my verbal score drastically for the Third time it would diminish all my chances, right?
Well your chances are essentially 0 or close to it with a 6 in VR right now

If you stick to apply this cycle, only apply to DO schools. No MD for the reason given above.