Where should I apply? No MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PltEnthusiast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I need some help deciding which schools to apply to. The biggest problem is that I don't have my MCAT scores yet as I am taking it on June 17.
My numbers are as follows:
cGPA 3.65
sGPA 3.89

Experiences:
- EMT with fire & rescue (this also counts for my leadership experience)
Have been volunteering at a family practice as Medical Assistant for more - than 2 years
- Vol. at free clinic for about 6 months now

Research
- working on an independent research project since last summer

For other than medicine related exp:
Dancing since little

I think I included them all (the ones that matter I guess). I am a Virginia resident. Please help me decide where should I apply. I want to take a shot a some big schools too in addition to mediocre schools. Since I am from a different country and have been living in US since 2001, I am not so familiar with different states and environment thus here asking for help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any nonmedical community service? Presumably you've shadowed the family doc while volunteering, but have you done any formal shadowing of other specialties? Any teaching/tutoring/coaching/TAing? What about other hobbies?

Your clinical experience is very good, with a nice breadth to it. Your research will be fine. Dancing gives you something to list under Artistic Endeavors.

There is a certain strategy to picking schools to give yourself the best chance. Without at least some practice MCAT scores to judge where your score will lie, we can't give you a good list. We don't know your weather preferences, your need to stay close to family, the curriculum you prefer, whether safety of the area near the school is important to you, if you are a permanent US resident or citizen, or how much you need to consider cost. I suggest you look at a copy of the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements), available in your prehealth advising office or for purchase on-line through the AMCAS website, to start getting some ideas.

Yes, I do shadow the family practitioner when there is low patient volume. In addition, I have shadowed a urology surgeon since I am interested in surgery.

I have volunteered at a clinic for Mentally ******ed patients for about two years which included fun-events like taking them out to a park, or celebrating valentine's day etc.

I have taught a histology lab as a TA (teaching assistant) for a semester. That is an undergrad upper level course, as you might already know.

I will be taking FLs soon so, should have something to go before the June 1st submission deadline.

I am a citizen. I am applying to all VA schools considering the distance from family but that is not a make or break thing. I am open to all schools except very cold places. I will be using MSAR but just wanted to get some insights here from real lives. Cost/curriculum/safe areas are important but again not a deal breaker.

The additional activities you have discussed are all relevant to your med school application, so be sure to get them all in.

Being a TA for Histo is great. If you get into a school that allows it (all don't), you might be able to take a placement exam in the subject and get credit for the med school Histology course like I did.

Here is a link to a free FL practice exam on the AMCAS website: https://services.aamc.org/publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=179&prv_id=214

Maybe you'd have time to take it this weekend. Let us know how you do.