Where should I apply with my stats? Help! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zohairk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need some help figuring out where to apply with my stats. Here are my current stats:
oGPA: 3.67 (significant increasing trend)
sGPA: 3.46
DAT: 20 AA, 20 TS, 22 PAT ` 22 ORGO, 24 QR, 19 Reading, 19 Chem, 18 Bio
Residency: Michigan
Assuming 100+ volunteering and shadowing hours

Currently, these are the schools I have on my list. I need help narrowing it down, and if possible adding/replacing some schools with reason. Please let me know why you suggested a change, add or removal - it'll help a lot! Thanks in advance!

1. UMich (in-state)
2. UDM (in-state)
3. USouthern California
4. Boston
5. Tufts
6. LECOM
7. Nova
8. Creighton
9. Case Western
10. Temple
11. Louisiana
12. OSU
13. UMD
14. UNLV
15. NYU
16. MWU - AZ
17. South Carolina James B Edwards
18. UK
19. Marquette
20. Indiana
21. ASDOH- Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

I am wary of saying "assuming" experience hours. You have them or you don't, and that dictates the list you should compile. That 18 Bio doesn't do you favors though.
I understand what you are trying to say. What I truly meant was that I don’t have the official number down, and surely they are over 100/will be at the time of application. I wanted to receive input based on my stats, such as gpa and dat.
Also, thanks! I know the 18 in Biology is a setback, but I understand the application is a holistic process so other areas of my statistics may nudge me forward through the process. We’ve seen worse throughout many cycles, but some encouraging comments would be greatly appreciated next time! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you are trying to say. What I truly meant was that I don’t have the official number down, and surely they are over 100/will be at the time of application. I wanted to receive input based on my stats, such as gpa and dat.
Also, thanks! I know the 18 in Biology is a setback, but I understand the application is a holistic process so other areas of my statistics may nudge me forward through the process. We’ve seen worse throughout many cycles, but some encouraging comments would be greatly appreciated next time! :)
I would check out how many of the schools on our list really don't admit that many OOS applicants and strike those (like Ohio State or Maryland). You got to have stats higher than their posted numbers to get a fair shot (noting that their averages reflect mostly their in-state pools and they'll want even higher for OOS).

I know the 18 in Biology is a setback, but I understand the application is a holistic process so other areas of my statistics may nudge me forward through the process. We’ve seen worse throughout many cycles, but some encouraging comments would be greatly appreciated next time! :)
There's not much else on your app though, based on what you have listed? Nothing stands out. It would help if you edited your post to fill in the categories here: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄. Also, while sugarcoating responses may boost confidence, you need to be realistic, open-minded, and thick-skinned because dental school is very competitive to get into.

I would agree with @Mr.Smile12, check the OOS-friendliness of the public schools on your list, since they are pickier on stats with OOS applicants (being at their average is not always enough, your stats should be higher). You also need to keep schools you would genuinely, 100%, without a doubt attend if they were your only acceptance this cycle. If you don't feel that way about a certain school, whether due to location or costs, remove it.

Reactions: 1 user