Aug 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Major: Science
GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 518

• 2000+ as a scribe
  • 3.5 years research in 3 science fields + 1summer Amgen (no papers but presented nationally & internationally)
  • 300+ volunteering at a free clinic
  • 400+ volunteering at habitat for humanity (house repair)
  • 600+ volunteering at a major international organization
  • Sewing clothes and donating them
  • TA for a 2 science classes
  • Tutor in science
  • Part time job
  • Volunteer to teach scientific theories and fun history to children/teens in a foreign country (Independent project with friends)
  • I have a black belt in a martial art
  • I speak 6 languages (Spanish, French and Arabic included. The rest is not really important)

Thank youuuuuu (I am applying next year btw) :D

Banco

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Pretty much anywhere you want. Excellent application. Aim high, but just add all your state schools and a couple mid/low tiers.

Reactions: nanacomeon

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
You're set. What state of residence and where did you go for undergrad?

You know all the big name schools you don't need me for that. Here are some of the non top 20 type schools and some lower tiers as well to give some consideration to.

Hofstra
Case Western
Rochester
Einstein
Emory
USC
UVA
Ohio State(maybe)

U of Arizona
USF
Tulane
Miami
Saint Louis
Wake Forest
Tufts
Creighton
Oakland
Quinnipac
Va Tech
Medical College Wisconsin

Obviously no need to apply to all these. The first group I think every school in their has a 35+ median MCAT(except Hofstra at 34) where as the lower group is more of the traditional "lower tiers". Maybe pick 6-8 from the lower group, throw in some of the mid tiers from above then fill the rest with the big names you want and give ti ago.

OP
N
Aug 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You're set. What state of residence and where did you go for undergrad?

You know all the big name schools you don't need me for that. Here are some of the non top 20 type schools and some lower tiers as well to give some consideration to.

Hofstra
Case Western
Rochester
Einstein
Emory
USC
UVA
Ohio State(maybe)

U of Arizona
USF
Tulane
Miami
Saint Louis
Wake Forest
Tufts
Creighton
Oakland
Quinnipac
Va Tech
Medical College Wisconsin

Obviously no need to apply to all these. The first group I think every school in their has a 35+ median MCAT(except Hofstra at 34) where as the lower group is more of the traditional "lower tiers". Maybe pick 6-8 from the lower group, throw in some of the mid tiers from above then fill the rest with the big names you want and give ti ago.
My state has one med school and I went to a small private liberal arts university.

I will take a look at them and see which ones I can see myself in.

Thank you for your help :D

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You're golden; aim high.

My state has one med school and I went to a small private liberal arts university.

I will take a look at them and see which ones I can see myself in.

Thank you for your help :D

Krabbeman

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hell
Status
Medical Student
You're app is incredible. I would apply to all the top schools, excluding the state ones. For example, UCSF (unless you're from Cali)

Noctámbulo

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2014
You're app is incredible. I would apply to all the top schools, excluding the state ones. For example, UCSF (unless you're from Cali)
Does UCSF have an in-state bias? I was under the impression that UCR and UCD were the only ones in Cali that did, for some reason.

Reactions: ZedsDed

Krabbeman

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hell
Status
Medical Student
Does UCSF have an in-state bias? I was under the impression that UCR and UCD were the only ones in Cali that did, for some reason.
I thought so, maybe I'm wrong. I'll check MSAR quick and update this post.

Update: Last year, 78.2% of matriculants were from Cali, but Cali residents only made up 47.4% of applications submitted. That seems pretty Biased to me.

Two years ago: these numbers were 82.2% and 48%

Last edited:

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I thought so, maybe I'm wrong. I'll check MSAR quick and update this post.

Update: Last year, 78.2% of matriculants were from Cali, but Cali residents only made up 47.4% of applications submitted. That seems pretty Biased to me.

Two years ago: these numbers were 82.2% and 48%
UCSF claims they have no IS bias, which gyngyn has confirmed. The discrepancy between applications and matriculants can be explained because:
1.) Ca applicants actually understand what UCSF is looking for and will tailor there applications/secondaries accordingly (though almost all Ca applicants do apply there.)
2.) Ca applicants have higher stats than much of the rest of the country, so UCSF doesn't have to look far to fill their class.

Reactions: Noctámbulo

Krabbeman

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hell
Status
Medical Student
UCSF claims they have no IS bias, which gyngyn has confirmed. The discrepancy between applications and matriculants can be explained because:
1.) Ca applicants actually understand what UCSF is looking for and will tailor there applications/secondaries accordingly (though almost all Ca applicants do apply there.)
2.) Ca applicants have higher stats then much of the rest of the country, so UCSF doesn't have to look far to fill their class.
okay, thanks for your input, I didn't know that. Isn't it also true that state schools are required to accept a certain % IS to maintain state funding? Thats what my pre-med adviser said.

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
okay, thanks for your input, I didn't know that. Isn't it also true that state schools are required to accept a certain % IS to maintain state funding? Thats what my pre-med adviser said.
Maybe, I don't know. I'm sure they can more than meet that minimum, for the reasons I stated previously, relatively effortlessly.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
The thing about UCSF is a much higher percentage of applicants who apply in state get an interview than those who apply out of state to get an interview. I think USCF gives around 500 interviews a year and 350 of them are to Cali residents. So about 10% of Cali residents get an interview who apply where as its probably closer to 4% of OOS applicants who apply get a II. That's not such an enormous gap that you can't explain it away and I do buy CA applicants on general have higher stats than OOS applicants but that is not a small gap 10% vs 4%. What is perhaps possible is indirect inherent bias; ie UCSF really respecting top GPAs from certain CA schools and knowing from their past experience say the UCLA graduates who go to their medical school on average do extremely well and that a top GPA there is indicative of what will likely be a top medical student as a complete hypothetical ex. Maybe they know more about certain organizations or programs many CA residents are involved with and know what constitutes as outstanding work. UCSF could just more familiar with CA residents and really appreciate top notch work when they see it and say really recognize the meaning of extensive volunteering with well known organizations. Familiarity bias can definitely be a thing. Again this is all spitballing off nothing but you should at least realize the gap in % of applicants who get a II is not small for IS vs OOS residents.

Reactions: ZedsDed

Krabbeman

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hell
Status
Medical Student
Maybe, I don't know. I'm sure they can more than meet that minimum, for the reasons I stated previously, relatively effortlessly.
Thanks, I think you're right. If you look at the #s for Columbia and Cornell, they both show the same thing. One would think there is a slight IS bias. But both of them too claim no IS bias

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What is perhaps possible is indirect inherent bias; ie UCSF really respecting top GPAs from certain CA schools and knowing from their past experience say the UCLA graduates who go to their medical school on average do extremely well and that a top GPA there is indicative of what will likely be a top medical student as a complete hypothetical ex. Maybe they know more about certain organizations or programs many CA residents are involved with and know what constitutes as outstanding work. UCSF could just more familiar with CA residents and really appreciate top notch work when they see it and say really recognize the meaning of extensive volunteering with well known organizations. Familiarity bias can definitely be a thing.
Yeah, I think that is probably the case.