Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAnomoly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.5 cGPA
3.45 sGPA
504 MCAT (127/123/127/127), CARS XD
AA male
Delaware
Applying Next Cycle

Tutored biochemistry for a year
Shadowing Doctors (50 hours)
Clinical volunteering in hospital ER (175H)
Non-clinical volunteering(I will be volunteering at a homeless shelter soon during my gap hear, 0H)
Worked for two years in undergrad
No research

Guidance is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what type of schools your aiming for. If you have the time and the resources to retake the MCAT I would highly suggest it. A higher score would open many doors for you. With your stats as is you would be looking mostly at lower tier schools, DO schools, and maybe a couple mid tier schools as your reach schools.

You should see if you qualify for the Fee Assistance Program which will help you when you apply (16 primary apps and basically all secondary apps free, along with MCAT study resources and the MSAR). If you can access the MSAR you should compare your stats with schools you'd be interested in and make a more informed decision. I believe with your scores you are in the bottom 10th percentile both MCAT and GPA wise for many lower tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on what type of schools your aiming for. If you have the time and the resources to retake the MCAT I would highly suggest it. A higher score would open many doors for you. With your stats as is you would be looking mostly at lower tier schools, DO schools, and maybe a couple mid tier schools as your reach schools.

You should see if you qualify for the Fee Assistance Program which will help you when you apply (16 primary apps and basically all secondary apps free, along with MCAT study resources and the MSAR). If you can access the MSAR you should compare your stats with schools you'd be interested in and make a more informed decision. I believe with your scores you are in the bottom 10th percentile both MCAT and GPA wise for many lower tier schools.

I'm not applying until next cycle, so I do have time for a retake. It looks like that would be the smart thing to do at this point. Thanks for the feedback !

Happy to help. Focus the most on CARS, like do a passage or two every day from now until whenever you take the exam. I would recommend getting the ExamKrackers 101 verbal passages and consistently work through that. The rest of your sections are solid and with a little more work on those you should be able to boost those by at least 1 point each. Stay focused and kick the MCAT's ass. You can do it!!

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your current stats:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
West Virginia
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, NOVA MD)

Happy to help. Focus the most on CARS, like do a passage or two every day from now until whenever you take the exam. I would recommend getting the ExamKrackers 101 verbal passages and consistently work through that. The rest of your sections are solid and with a little more work on those you should be able to boost those by at least 1 point each. Stay focused and kick the MCAT's ass. You can do it!!
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
West Virginia
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Thank you for the list.
Should I throw in a few DOs?

Yes, apply to several DO schools. However, if you retake the MCAT and score 508 or higher you do not need to apply to DO schools.

You should be able to get into a MD school because you are an URM. Yous have a good shot at the HBCUs

Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
West Virginia
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
To Faha's list, add UCLA/Drew, Albany, IU, Wake, Rush, U MD, VCU, EVMS