Where should I apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1114378

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Date of submission: hopefully early June
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 23 TS 24 RC 21 QR 23 Bio 24 GC 25 OC 24 PAT 22
State of Residence: WV

Undergrad Attended: UNC
Major: chem and biol
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 60 hours tutoring refugees, 60 hours at a dental school, 80 hours at a church
Employment: 400 hours at a restaurant
Research: 480 hours in a chem lab - no publication
Other Extracurriculars: 70 hours for International Friends club, 500 hours for campus ministry (was a discipleship leader)
Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list
LOR type and strength: one from dentist (strong), 3 from science professors (2 strong, 1 okay)

School list:
WVU
UNC
Columbia (a reach but my parents are moving to NY)
Pitt

Hi! I tend to be a pessimist (been reading too many chance me posts from previous years). I would appreciate some help on where to apply, since I feel like I'm at a disadvantage being from WV. Thanks in advance!
why are you at a disadvantage being from WV?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know why you should feel pessimistic. You are probably near automatic for II at WVU being in state. If your family is moving to NY, you can obviously shoot for NYU and the other New York schools but would you like their atmosphere? What type of patient community do you want to work with in dentistry?

I'd reach out to the schools in your wishlist through their ASDA chapters which should have a predental officer or committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t apply to NYU just gets too expensive. You have pretty good stats you probably could get into many places.

Narrow down schools firstly by cost and then location of where you would like to live

Sorry, I know I shouldn't be picky when it comes to dentals, and I'd be happy to get accepted anywhere. It's just I don't really like WV and really want to go out of state.
you should do everything you can to get into WV, since it will be by far the cheapest school for you...

Reactions: 1 users
you should do everything you can to get into WV, since it will be by far the cheapest school for you...
add 4 or 5 more schools
UNC and columbia are reaches despite your awesome stats
maybe one more reach school, a couple in-range schools, and a couple safety schools...

Reactions: 1 users