Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

changeofheart77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a recent change of heart w/ respect to specialty choice. No geographical preference. I still have to find an advisor. I plan to apply broadly but I don't know which would be reach, realistic and safety choices. I had decent community service extracurric but not stellar, summer research in medschool, only p's in basic and clinical rotations including p in medicine, high p in a couple, honors in med AI. Step I 222, step2 230. LORs fr regular faculty. Overall, just an average med student in a top 20 school. Please only helpful remarks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to tell us what specialty you want to go into or should we guess?

I have changed my mind and now I want to do internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several hundred internal medicine programs in the country. Big or small? Academic or private? Fellowship, hospitalist or primary care career afterwards? Anything at all you are interested in?

you're applying for this cycle?

You have good board score so alot of the academics programs are in range.

Take a look in FREIDA for all the IM programs.

yeah, i'm applying this cycle for categorical positions in academic programs. i am keeping the option of fellowship open. but my apps will be late, i don't even have a ps and letters. i'm hoping to complete my apps first week of oct. is that too late? i'm so afraid of not matching.

Ok, you've narrowed it down to about 150 programs. Keep going...

Dean's Letters don't come out until November 1, a lot of places won't offer interviews or even look at applications until then.

As an AMG with good board scores, you WILL match (through scramble if not through regular match) in internal medicine. Congratulations.

Medicine is a buyer's market- you will be fine. Just get your application in asap, and meet with a faculty member you trust to help to identify programs. Last year I used a hanging filing system for the programs I applied to- dropped anything I had about the program into the file, and I could rearrange and rank them as I went.

Agreed with above--there are too many programs to surf them all.

Personally, I'd start with location. You can live pretty much anywhere in the country and find a great medicine program. Pick a region or two. Then go from there.

Best of luck!

DS