Where should I focus my summer internship search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Doctor Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, looking for a bit of guidance. I appreciate any advice you can offer –

I'm a junior undergraduate student still unsure of which career to pursue (MD/DO vs. another type of provider), and am in a frenzied search to try to land an experience this summer that will help me make up my mind. The problem is that I don't know what type of experience I'll be able to get the most out of in helping make this decision and spots are filling up quick.

I have interests in internal medicine (perhaps gastroenterology), nutrition, psychology, and I'm sure others I've yet to explore, but lack an idea of whether I should disappear to medical school (sometime) after graduation, or instead pursue a similar type of provider status through less of an investment than med school, such as becoming a PA.
In an ideal world, there would be an expedited, rotation-type program (shadowing or more) that I could enroll in to give me this sort of all-inclusive insight I'm looking for, but I've yet to come across anything like this.

Most of what I have found involves research opportunities—which are great in that they look good on a resume, are paid positions, and involve hands-on work; but seem to lack the clinical aspect I think I should be after.

Volunteer or PCA positions in hospitals would certainly fit the clinical and hands-on aspects (although pay isn't the same), but lacks the sort of mentorship that might be part of a research program, formally or not.

•My question is, to anyone who's been in my position before, where would you recommend I focus my efforts in finding a summer experience(s)?

I'm speaking with physicians and asking their advice where I can, and have had brief shadowing stints in the past, but feel a longer-lasting experience is what will best suit me now; the form this takes, however, is where I'm struggling. Please let me know your thoughts—I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are serious about pursuing medical school, a summer research experience would be a good idea, particularly if you don't have that opportunity at your college. PM me with your location and I'll let you know if I know of any opportunities in your area.

Reactions: 1 user
The best thing I could tell you is to shadow both PA's and physicians. For your own sake, dont just do this for 20 hours or so just to check a box off; do it for as long as it takes to get a good feel for each profession. If that means 20 hours so be it. If that means 100 hours to really help you decide, so be it as well. Shadow a variety of physicians in different areas and PA's just as importantly as well.

Of course shadowing isnt something that should be the only thing you do during hte summer. Couple possibilities here

a) If you still truly are undecided on MD/DO vs PA then it might be a good idea to do an activity that could boost your application for both. Paid clinical experience(nursing assistant, phlebotomist etc) could allow you to do this. Get the patient contact hours in case you decide PA is for you and if you decide you want to go the physician route you have boosted your application as well.
b) Really whatever route you are considering other than MD/DO you can do the same thing for. If you are considering say dentistry, doing research, particuarly in an area related to dentistry(craniofacial research would be an example) would allow you to boost either your application for med school or dental school. Like I said you could come up with different examples doing this for a variety of professions.
c) Volunteer in a hospital. Get exposure to a hospital setting. Another thing that doesnt have to take up more than a few hours a week and can help an application in non-med school related admissions such as PA etc.
d) I would agree with the above that summer is a good time to get research experience, particularly if your school doesnt have lots of good opportunities. Research doesnt always need to be basic/wet lab based; clinical research is another avenue many successful med school applicants pursue and depending on opportunity allows for interaction with patients, physicians etc and can give you a better idea of medicine(although this hardly replaces shadowing and doing your extensive research on whatever fields interest you, physician, PA etc)

Reactions: 1 user
If you are serious about pursuing medical school, a summer research experience would be a good idea, particularly if you don't have that opportunity at your college. PM me with your location and I'll let you know if I know of any opportunities in your area.

Thank you both for your responses. I ended up working in a clinical research position this past summer close to home in Boston. It was a great experience, but reaffirmed how necessary it is (for my happiness and productivity) to have interaction with real life patients, even if for just part of the time.

Now though, I am trying to figure out what to fill my upcoming post-bac year with. If research, my dream would be working on something nutrition related. Please do let me know if you are aware of any opportunities, near Boston or elsewhere.

The best thing I could tell you is to shadow both PA's and physicians. For your own sake, dont just do this for 20 hours or so just to check a box off; do it for as long as it takes to get a good feel for each profession. If that means 20 hours so be it. If that means 100 hours to really help you decide, so be it as well. Shadow a variety of physicians in different areas and PA's just as importantly as well.

Of course shadowing isnt something that should be the only thing you do during hte summer. Couple possibilities here

a) If you still truly are undecided on MD/DO vs PA then it might be a good idea to do an activity that could boost your application for both. Paid clinical experience(nursing assistant, phlebotomist etc) could allow you to do this. Get the patient contact hours in case you decide PA is for you and if you decide you want to go the physician route you have boosted your application as well.
b) Really whatever route you are considering other than MD/DO you can do the same thing for. If you are considering say dentistry, doing research, particuarly in an area related to dentistry(craniofacial research would be an example) would allow you to boost either your application for med school or dental school. Like I said you could come up with different examples doing this for a variety of professions.
c) Volunteer in a hospital. Get exposure to a hospital setting. Another thing that doesnt have to take up more than a few hours a week and can help an application in non-med school related admissions such as PA etc.
d) I would agree with the above that summer is a good time to get research experience, particularly if your school doesnt have lots of good opportunities. Research doesnt always need to be basic/wet lab based; clinical research is another avenue many successful med school applicants pursue and depending on opportunity allows for interaction with patients, physicians etc and can give you a better idea of medicine(although this hardly replaces shadowing and doing your extensive research on whatever fields interest you, physician, PA etc)

Great advice, @GrapesofRath. I have been thinking along the same lines.
I have continued to shadow providers (a GI doc that I'm very excited for this week actually), and recently began volunteering in a hospital emergency dept. while at school in Pennsylvania.

A year later and I'm back on alert for more opportunities, only a bit more impactful given that I will be graduating after next semester!