where should I live to get in-state - VA, MD, or DC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u2ecila

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am applying to med school for the fall of 2003. Right now, I live in Maryland and work in Northern Virginia. I am considering moving to VA this summer to get in-state residency.

Is this a good idea? I figured my odds would be better with 3 med schools instead of 1.

What do you guys think of University of Maryland vs. the Virginia State schools? Does DC even have any public med schools?
:wink:
thanks for you help,
u2ecila

Members don't see this ad.

DC does not have a public school. GW, however, does give special admissions consideration to residents of the DC area (which would include N. VA and most of MD, I believe). Howard and Georgetown might do the same.

I asked my premed advisor that question. His answer was VA was the best for admitting state residents. It has 3 public schools, EVMS acts like a public. DC has none and MD has one and it's stats are more competitve than 2 of the VA schools. So if you can afford it, move to VA. Its a great place :wink: