Where should I try to get a job as a Pharmacy Tech/Intern (besides Walgreens)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working at Walgreens, and I'm an undecided major, although I think I'll be trying Pharmacy in the Fall (my pre-reqs at least).

I was taking some classes, but I did poorly. I'm gonna give it another shot in the Fall, because I was having some personal issues that held me back.

I started working at WG in July, they pay me $11.50 an hour as a one-year intern. However, even if I decide not to go to Pharmacy, I'd still like to work as a Tech, and eventually get certified, while I'm still in college. I like the atmosphere and enjoy the job.

But Walgreens cut hours and I'm working a lame one day a week. My boss told me he doesn't know if or when I'll be able to get more hours.

I've applied at CVS before and went on an interview before I started working at Walgreens, but took the job at WG because they paid more.

Should I try to work at CVS again? Or what about Rite Aid? Then, there's of course Wal-Mart and grocery store Pharmacies.

Anyone know what CVS and Rite Aid pay?

Members don't see this ad.

I know once you become a pharmacy student, your pay increases. They pay you based on what year you are in. Rite Aid, CVS and WAG all increase your pay each year you move up in pharmacy school. As far as tech pay, I'm not sure who pays the most. I think they pay you based on experience? I would try to work for a grocery store pharmacy, they seem to be less stressful compared to stand alone drug stores and the environment is much nicer.

A pharmacy? that one is just about everywhere you go to where there are shoppers. The list can get long besides #1 and #2 drugstores by volume. This is about starting pay for a cert. tech and its a few dollars lower for a cashier whose without a license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what Rite Aid's pay is like compared to Walgreens and CVS though?

I'm a tech at CVS and I get paid $13 an hour

I work at West Hill hospital and get paid $17/hr

I am a tech at walgreens in NC who has been working for 6 months, certified with no experience, pay started at $11.25

If you're certified and licensed (depending on the state), go for a hospital pharmacy. More clinical experience and also makes you stand out more on your app since you'll have a variety of experience.