1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Where should people with a 3.3 GPA, 31 MCAT, and good ECs apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Oallostavros, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Oallostavros

Oallostavros Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all,

I'm looking at a 3.3 GPA from Case Western Reserve University and a 31 MCAT, with good ECs, but not so spectacular letters of recommendation. Got any suggestions for schools?

:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    7+ Year Member

Apply to about 20+ schools especially your state schools and those schools outside your state that take a large proportion of their class from out of state. In addition their stats should be relatively close to yours. Include a few reach schools as well but not too many, maybe 3 or 4. Write an excellent personal statement and get your applications in as early as possible-especially the secondaries and the LORs. Then pray like hell. :)

Good Luck !

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree with explosivo. plus you should add a couple of schools you REALLY want to attend even if you don't seem very competitive. if it's john's hopkins you may be wasting your money, but if it's a top 10-30 school, you might as well try. some schools to consider:

George Washington
    Boston U
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    Albany
    New York Medical College
    Finch/Chicago med
    Jefferson
    Temple U
    U Vermont
    Saint Louis University
    MCP Hahnemann
    Penn State

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Membership Revoked
    Removed

You should either apply to some DO schools or be prepared to spend a year off improving your application. You will need to apply to a higher then average number of schools (I would aim for 25 or so).

6. GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

I dont think he needs to apply to DO schools. I think that if you have a good personal statement and some good ECs, you will have no problems getting in. Don't sell yourself short. If you want to apply to top schools, you might as well. You only get one chance to go through this process and you dont want to look back and think what if. Go for it and good luck!!!

7. longhorn

longhorn Membership Revoked
    Removed

The guy has a 31 on his MCAT he WILL get in somewhere. Don't listen to the person who said go to DO school. If your recs are bad you might wanna take a year off and work on them along with your ECs. BUT, I think you will get in this cycle.

8. Jumpu

Jumpu Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Gee I hope that's true. I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a 3.3 and a 33 on the MCAT. And I haven't apply to any DO schools.:)

9. T.A.M

T.A.M Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Your numbers place you slightly below the middle of the pack, but they are good enough for many MD and DO schools but not the Harvards, Penns and Johns Hopkins of the medical world. Just make sure you write some good personal statements and apply to several schools. You should get a few interviews. Be certain that you are prepared to give good answers about any weaknesses on your record.

10. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if those LORs aren't good, you can prolly kiss your chances goodbye. PM me and I'll explain.

11. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    how come your LORS are not spectacular? why did you ask those people for them?

12. Lady MD

Lady MD Member
    7+ Year Member

Oallostavros,

I agree that you probably don't have to consider the DO route just yet. Here are some MD schools that you should try:

Alabama
    Florida
    Ohio State
    Tufts
    Tulane
    Vanderbilt
    Wake Forest
    Wayne

And I also agree that you should try for some top schools like Harvards and Hopkins, just for the kick. You never know. :)

GOOD LUCK !

13. deejayshakur

deejayshakur Member
    10+ Year Member

what about a 3.3 and say, oh, a 40 mcat? just wanna know your thoughts... what would adcoms think about the mcat/gpa discrepancy?

14. Oallostavros

Oallostavros Member
    7+ Year Member

I just assume that with only a 3.3, they can't be that good. I mean, they know me well and all, but I can see them saying much about someone with a 3.3.

15. wolferman

wolferman Member?
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One would hope that they'd be so curious about the discrepancy that they'd invite you for an interview. :D

16. Nirvana

Nirvana Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know about his background, but those stats are good enough for the Penns and Hopkins if he's a minority and if his recs aren't bad....

Oallostavros - Definitely apply to at least 20 schools. The schools that others suggested are good.

Also try...

Miami
    MCP/Drexel
    Cincinatti
    Vermont