Where the heck do I get my car weighed??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RugbyJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry. My new rule is that I spend exactly 20 minutes trying to figure things out on my own before seeking help. Maybe next week I will lower this down to 2 minutes...

So, how exactly do I find a place to weight my car? The PPO told me to look up "public scales" or "public weight stations" or "weight stations" in the yellow pages and I am not getting any hits. Is there another name or is there another place I can do this? He told me NOT to go to the weight stations that trucks use...there are different.

Im sure someone has experience with this on here...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, how exactly do I find a place to weight my car?

They didn't tell you precisely because they don't know either! For some reason, you can't go a mile without tripping over a weigh station in the southeast, but in other parts of the country they're very rare. The best advice I have is start with the yellow pages, and look up lumber yards, recycling plants, junkyards and the like. I think what they meant when they told you not to go to truck scales is not to go to a self-serve scale. Your claim will require a weigh ticket that is signed by an actual person, not just a printed receipt. If you can find a scale at your destination (or along the way) weigh it there. You need not get the tare and loaded weight before you depart.

Sorry. My new rule is that I spend exactly 20 minutes trying to figure things out on my own before seeking help. Maybe next week I will lower this down to 2 minutes...

So, how exactly do I find a place to weight my car? The PPO told me to look up "public scales" or "public weight stations" or "weight stations" in the yellow pages and I am not getting any hits. Is there another name or is there another place I can do this? He told me NOT to go to the weight stations that trucks use...there are different.

Im sure someone has experience with this on here...thanks!

The ones that weigh trucks are fine. They sometimes have scales at feed/tack places as well. (Where they sell hay and horse stuff, if you don't know what feed/tack means).

Members don't see this ad :)
just found one at a recycling plant...thanks.!

You can also try the local dump. Many will weigh you in and out to figure out how much to charge you for your trash.

I've used the scales at truck stops many times. They charge you $5. These are usually convenient b/c they are on the highway as I am heading out of town with all my stuff. I don't know why they are telling you to avoid truck scales. Keep track of the weight certificates, and keep copies after you submit your crap for your DITY move.