Where the hell do I get 4% Phenol from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algiatrist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to do neurolysis on a super-sweet old lady with an implanted defibrillator.

Can't zap her with the RF machine, so I wanted to go old-school and use Phenol.

One problem-I have absolutely no idea where to get the stuff! Local hospital supply guy has no clue, local ASC people neither.

Anybody out there got a line on where to get this stuff?

I've got to help this woman. She says she'll bake cookies for me if I can take away her back pain.

Mmmm . . . . cookies.

Members don't see this ad.

Grounding pad on thigh you really don't need to worry about the defib for a lumbar rf. You can put a magnet on it and disable the defib or have a device rep disable the defib and turn it back on after the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grounding pad on thigh you really don't need to worry about the defib for a lumbar rf. You can put a magnet on it and disable the defib or have a device rep disable the defib and turn it back on after the case.

This is what I do.

I have accidentally done RF on a patient with an ICD and it didn't fire. We have a 3-lead ECG on our monitor, so I keep an eye on this.

I have also done RF with SCS in place, and no harm or foul.

thought if patient is not pacer dependent and you are doing a lumbar RF, you can contact the rep (to come in if needed) and put the magnet on there and do your procedure.

Facets, mostly. I put a cc over the joint. Works for several months. If people can't get an RF or if the approach is impossible I'll use it.

I've requisitioned it from a hospital pharmacy before. On short notice. As in, the surgeon didn't tell me he needed it until patient was intubated on the table. (That isn't a good way to make friends with an OR nurse, btw. I will move Heaven and Earth, and cross Hell to get you what you need for a patient, if only you tell me in advance.) Was that "local hospital supply guy" a pharmacist? Call hospital pharmacies. They have it or can get it.

Have also absolutely used bovie and similar equipment on patients with implanted devices. As above, you can inactivate the device, or just make sure that the return electrode is placed on tissue near the site where you will be working, not crossing the leads or body of the pacer.