This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.ScroatSac

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read forums again and again, and I see the same thing. What are my chances,,, stats, stats, bull****, more stats. Always playing the algorithms that medical schools use to weed out the weak.
This post is not about my chances of getting into medical school, it's an open invitation to tell me get out the medical field, get a different career.

Right now marks my last year of undergrad. I would be lying if I explained my undergraduate experience as easy.
Due to my parents divorce, I chose to go to community college for my first 2 years. I held down a 3.6 GPA while getting biology 1 and 2, anatomy/physiology, physics 1 and chemistry 1 out of the way. I felt good about all of this and was excited to get to a university.
However, it wasn't going to be that simple. During the divorce, my father told me that he would pay for my associates. However, at the end of my 2 years, I was given a bill of 4,000 dollars which was long overdue. This lead me to work the following year to save up.
Once paid off I went off to the university I reside at now. These next couple years would be a true learning experience. At community college I would do nothing but work on weekends and study during the week. Away at a university, temptation finds you at every which direction.
My first semester was average, I got around a 3.45, and thought I was adjusting quite well. However, the next semester I met the girl of my dreams.
Make a long story short I cheated, we broke up, lots more to story but don't wanna explain. But my last semester of junior year was worst of college career. I went to the bars 3 days a week, drank on the weekends. I ended up dropping my gross anatomy class that at the beginning of the semester was very excited for.
I ended the semester with a 2.5.
So this brings me to present day.

Beginning of this semester (2 months ago) I made an appointment with my pre-med advisor. I was excited to talk to her because I planned on graduating end of the year.
My appointment was disappointing. The advisor told me my acedemic history showed that I was not capable of allopathic/osteopathic school ciriculum. She gave me a card for the career center, and just like that I was weeded out like many wanna-be doctors before me.

Currently I am little past the mid-term of this semester. I currently have an A in Organic Chemistry. I figured out how to be off on my own and balance school with it. I feel that I have finally found core principles/an identity for myself. I did a job shadow in radiology recently and I found a whole new passion for medicine. I was there for 8 hours watching fistulagrapthys and other semi-invasive operations. The 8 hours felt like 2 hours.

Facts
-All I've ever wanted to be during college is a doctor.
-I might not have the pre-med checklist all filled out, but I have real-life experiences.
-Getting good marks in courses is not a persons innate intellect. Instead, I would argue it's A persons hard work and constructive ability to answer to adversity.

-Conclusion

I'm not giving up my dream of becoming a doctor. After my last horrible semester I started looking at other careers, and during the summer I actually decided to try law or clinical psychology. However, start of the semester, I signed up for Organic Chemistry and decided that I was going to go as far as I can go till they weed me out for good. You can spit in my face medicine but it doesn't mean I still don't love ya.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Pre-med advisors are a waste of time. Talk to actual ADCOMs.

2.) Take all your prereqs and do well for your cGPA and SGPA

3.) Do well on MCAT

4.) Do EC's such as research and volunteering

5.) Apply

Reactions: 1 users

-All I've ever wanted to be during college is a doctor.

-I might not have the pre-med checklist all filled out, but I have real-life experiences.
-Getting good marks in courses is not a persons innate intellect. Instead, I would argue it's A persons hard work and constructive ability to answer to adversity.

I'm not giving up my dream of becoming a doctor. After my last horrible semester I started looking at other careers, and during the summer I actually decided to try law or clinical psychology. However, start of the semester, I signed up for Organic Chemistry and decided that I was going to go as far as I can go till they weed me out for good. You can spit in my face medicine but it doesn't mean I still don't love ya.

Preach.

Status
Not open for further replies.