Where to apply? 503 Mcat 3.4 uGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.4 Masters GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocsRocks21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently I am getting my masters in pharmacology at a medical school in NY. I have a 3.4 gpa (one more semester before applying and I am hoping to get that GPA up) here and had a 3.4 gpa in undergraduate. I applied last year with just my undergraduate gpa and a 24 (6,9,9) on the mcat. I was interviewed at LECOM-E and LUCOM and waitlisted at LECOM-E. I also got an interview to KYCOM-Pikeville but was unable to attend since it was the same day as my LECOM interview. I have retaken the MCAT and got a 503 (125,124,128,126) ( not overly happy but overly disappointed either... it is an improvement) my pre-health advisor said this is close to having a 27-28 on the old mcat. She thinks I am a better applicant this year with my masters and higher mcat. Also my lab is very intense and we do drug studies and knockdowns on cell lines that were deprived from a JAK2V617F MPN patient. I have learned a lot from western blots, to doing FLOW and qRT-PCR. I also maintain and genotype my own mouse colony. While in college I worked in a CTICU at a hospital on my summer and winter breaks and have over 2000 hours patient experience. I have also shadowed physicians in all different fields of medicine but mainly in the emergency room. While in college I also was involved in Habitat for Humanity, Healthcare for the Homeless, and Relay for Life so I also have volunteer experiences. I was really told my MCAT (especially that 6) was holding me back. I was wondering where people advise me to apply this year. I really like the osteopathic approach to medicine and know I am a stronger applicant for the DO pool but I was wondering if people had recommendations for schools with my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be a good candidate for DO admission with your improved MCAT. There is still a chance you could be accepted at LECOM this year. If not apply in June to at least 15 schools and you should receive more interviews. Consider these schools where you are competitive with your stats:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
MU-COM
WVSOM
LECOM (both schools)
any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there will be several-probably in Utah, Texas and Arkansas)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks :) I meant I applied last cycle as in to enter the class of 2015 so LECOM ended up never taking me off the waitlist. I got into St. Georges in the Grenada but decided against going there. Praying for a US med school this up coming cycle. thanks for the tips on where to apply