Where to apply? Factors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still awaiting my August MCAT scores.

My question is....what factors determine where you apply?

Score requirement?
-I was going to apply to schools in which I have a chance based on my scores, but it seems that most of the schools have the same scores for entrance.

Location?
-I'll go anywhere.

I don't have the money or time to visit schools to see their programs so I assume each school's program is somewhat competitive with other DO schools.

Factors? anyone?

Thanks.
-ben

Members don't see this ad.

yea, hey i'm interested in that question too. what do you guys think? cause i really don't want to go to a crappy school.

I would look the schools up in some of those "medical school profile" books that they have at bookstores. You can also request catalogues for each school (free) and check out the information that AACOM has about each school and visit the school's web site.

I chose my schools based on programs, size of class, location(not a problem for you as you noted), and happiness of current students. You should think about what YOU want from a med school (just cuz it's different for everyone) and then start looking at each school's profile. Best of luck! :)

Very interesting question, and one that you will probably be asked by an admissions committee. So when you do decide, know why. I have already been asked on secondary apps. why I chose the school I did. Take a look at the program via the net, talk to DO's and call the schools themselves for info. I am willing to go anywhere, but I only applied to a limited number. It is different for us all. Good luck