Where to Apply with GPA3.3 and Average DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heretotalk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to SDN. I am wondering where and how many schools I should apply with my GPA and DAT scores. I am thinking about applying to 20 schools. Will that be enough? or too much? And also, should I retake my DAT? Thanks!
California resident
GPA 3.3
DAT: AA19, TS19, and PAT21.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be interested to hear the responses. I have a 3.3 GPA and 21AA, 20TS, 16PAT. We're in a similar boat. The advice will likely be: private schools. But I'm always up for unique views!

20 schools sounds pretty good. Use the ADEA supplied stats compiled in predents.com to match with your scores for picking schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I check the dental school guide from ADEA and have narrow down to the following schools. Please tell me if I should remove or add any other schools. Thanks.
1. ASDOH
2. Midwestern University
3. UCSF
4. UCLA
5. UOP
6. USC
7. Western University
8. Indiana University
9. University of Maryland
10. Boston University
11. Tufts University
12. University of Michigan
13. Creighton University
14. UNLV
15. UMDNJ(not sure)
16. Columbia University
17. NYU
18. University at Buffalo
19. Case
20. University of Pittsburgh
21. Temple University
22. VCU

I am not sure about Loma Linda University because I heard you need a letter from clergy and I dont' really know anyone that can write it for me. :confused:

I am not sure about Loma Linda University because I heard you need a letter from clergy and I dont' really know anyone that can write it for me. :confused:
I heard you do not need the letter to get admitted. I guess having one can definitely help.

I heard you do not need the letter to get admitted. I guess having one can definitely help.

Ya, can someone give me some input on that...
Is Loma Linda only for religious Christians?
Because thats a very weird policy (clergy LOR).

Where you apply also depends on yoru prereqs. I was a business major and did not take any upper division science courses so my choices narrowed down to about 20 schools with only 5 schools that I really wanted to go to. Definitely do the big schools: NYU, USC and Boston.

those stats may be GREAT for minorities...so it would help if you were to say if you were a monirity or not

those stats may be GREAT for minorities...so it would help if you were to say if you were a monirity or not

I second that. For URM, that score gives a strong chance to almost every school. If OP is not a URM, I would not apply to top schools.