Where to apply with low MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaiba48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have just received my new MCAT score which is 22 with a 5 in verbal reasoning. My sGPA is 3.82, I did research on marine species for a professor during my undergraduate (without publication, we only did poster presentation) . I have a lot of experience in healthcare including working experience and volunteering experience. I am just wondering if my application will get cut off by my low MCAT score. And will I stand a better chance with 22 MCAT score if I have a master degree in biomedical science? I have been so depressed with my MCAT score since this is the second time I took it already. I even thought of Ross University but I dont know if it is too risky for me to go.Thank you so much for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not go to the Caribbean.

You will likely not get accepted this cycle. Spend the next year studying for the mcat. Take it in May 2014.

You could try William Carey, acom, and cucom. They should reject you, though.

Did you get a 29 before? If that's the case, I don't know how they will view going from a 29 to a 22.

Last edited:
Don't go to the Carib, especially if you aren't confident in your standardized test taking ability. The last thing you want is to be an IMG with lots of debt and a 190 Step I score.

The truth is that you will be screened out of a lot of programs with a 22. Its still possible to get in, just very unlikely. I've heard of people getting into LMU-DCOM or CUSOM with those types of scores, but again, its really risky.

Given your great GPA, I would hold off on applying and study as hard as you can for the MCAT again. Review the material, take lots of practice tests, identify your weaknesses and correct them. Once you are averaging ~28-30 on practice tests, then go for taking it again. If you can even bring up your score to a 24-25, that will significantly improve your chances, but ideally you want a score in the 26-28 range.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hold off and retake OP. It would save you money this cycle thats for sure.

Hi guys!
I have just received my new MCAT score which is 22 with a 5 in verbal reasoning. My sGPA is 3.82, I did research on marine species for a professor during my undergraduate (without publication, we only did poster presentation) . I have a lot of experience in healthcare including working experience and volunteering experience. I am just wondering if my application will get cut off by my low MCAT score. And will I stand a better chance with 22 MCAT score if I have a master degree in biomedical science? I have been so depressed with my MCAT score since this is the second time I took it already. I even thought of Ross University but I dont know if it is too risky for me to go.Thank you so much for your responses.

You have an amazing GPA. Please don't sell yourself short. Wait this year out, invest your money and energy in the MCAT and apply to both MD and DO schools.

Did you get a 29 before? If that's the case, I don't know how they will view going from a 29 to a 22.

Wait a second, I thought yaiba sounded familiar. Now I'm really confused. I replied to this poster a few months ago saying they had an excellent shot at any DO school and even possibly MD schools (with their then 29 MCAT taken in January).

In another thread, yaiba48 said they were planning to take the MCAT for the first time in August (of this year - maybe it was moved up).

After looking over post history, it seems like yaiba is (also?) pre-pharm and was asking about chances with a sub-par PCAT.

Honestly yaiba48, if you did have a 29 MCAT score, retaking it was a mistake. I'm pretty sure everyone here said you'd be fine, and you had nothing to worry about for any DO schools and even a lot of MD schools. With a more recent score of 22, your chances are significantly reduced. MD schools won't look at you. Some DO schools will look at your highest scores, some will average, but others will look at the most recent. Either way, a 22 is a red flag. Only retake if you are absolutely sure you can get a 28-31 score, because that's what you'll need to show that the 22 was the anomaly and not the 29.

If you haven't gotten a 29 on the MCAT, and you were just asking based on your anticipated score, then this is an easy fix: retake and do much better, and you'll be fine for DO schools.

Last edited:
You can do better than Carib diploma mills. Just re-take the MCAT and especially focus on fixing your VR problem, especially if you're not an ESL.

Hi guys!

Hi guys, sorry for the confusion. The first post was actually from my cousin. She just took the Mcat in May and got a 22. She just used my account to ask for your opinions on her case. But thank you all for your suggestions.

LMU WVSOM ACOM MUCOM CUSOM VCOM (not too regionally biased)
PNWU KYCOM WCU PCOM-Ga (relatively regionally biased)

Plus try SOMA and KCOM

With that gpa chances are not that bad

Someone on here with 3.74 sgpa and 22 got into FOUR schools this year- LMU WVSOM VCOM and CUSOM I believe. Chances are not as terrible as everyone will be telling you.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I apologize if I am overly blunt here but....How do you have a 3.82 sGPA and score only a 22!? I do not mean this to be condescending in any way but was your school just really ridiculously easy or did you not study or are you just not the greatest test taker? etc

The 5 would worry me, but you may still well get in somewhere with it. My MCAT wasn't the best.

25 8/8/9. My GPA was a 3.73, 3.69 Science.

I filled out AACOMAS in late October, and heard back from LMUDCOM as soon as I was verified. I think the last I heard, there were some people with 22's that had gotten accepted there.

Pikeville (KYCOM) I think has one of the lowest MCAT averages. They do tend to be a little bit more regionally selective though depending on where you're at.

I was also looking at Ohio which wasn't super competitive. But they want you to practice in Ohio for 5 years, or you could buy yourself out of the obligation for like 50,000$.

I graduated with a guy with an MCAT of 22 or 23, don't remember for sure--he got into West Virginia.

The 5 would worry me, but you may still well get in somewhere with it. My MCAT wasn't the best.

25 8/8/9. My GPA was a 3.73, 3.69 Science.

I filled out AACOMAS in late October, and heard back from LMUDCOM as soon as I was verified. I think the last I heard, there were some people with 22's that had gotten accepted there.

Pikeville (KYCOM) I think has one of the lowest MCAT averages. They do tend to be a little bit more regionally selective though depending on where you're at.

I was also looking at Ohio which wasn't super competitive. But they want you to practice in Ohio for 5 years, or you could buy yourself out of the obligation for like 50,000$.

I graduated with a guy with an MCAT of 22 or 23, don't remember for sure--he got into West Virginia.

OU is relatively competitive, not to mention very instate biased. Averages for 2012 class were 3.64/27.17.

Yeah, there's someone matriculating with me who got a 17. I had a friend get into VCOM with a 23 and a 20 on her retake. But that doesn't mean the OP stands any kind of "reasonable" chance this cycle. A 5 subscore will get her screened out at many schools if the 22 overall doesn't already. It's a lot of money for what will likely end up being a disappointing cycle for her. She really outta invest it in an MCAT retake instead of praying for a waitlist seat. With her GPA even a 25/26 would make her competitive and get her multiple interviews.