Where to apply with my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cello

Practicing Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Well, I'm finally applying for dental school and I am trying to decide on which schools to apply for with my stats. Feedback would be much appreciated:

First, my basic stats:

cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.45
DAT: 23AA / 26PAT
Volunteering: more than 1000 hours total between all organizations
Research: Around 2,000 total hours over the last 2+ years
Shadowing: 108 hours
A decent amount of leadership and ECs I think to go with everything else.
Several years of work/professional experience.

I am planning to apply broadly, but am just wondering if there are schools I should add/drop for reasons I am not aware of or have not considered. I am bouncing my list off of the community to see what you all think. I do have a few reach schools (I am aware I may never hear back from) and some "safer" schools on my list so far. I want to keep my list at or below 20.

1. Roseman
  2. NYU
  3. Boston
  4. Tufts
  5. Midwestern, IL
  6. Midwestern, AZ
  7. A.T. Still, AZ
  8. Case Western
  9. UOP
  10. UCSF
  11. Detroit
  12. UMich
  13. Marquette
  14. Pitt
  15. UNC
  16. UIC @ Chicago
  17. University of Utah (I am instate)
  18. Colorado
  19. Creighton

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're looking to add some more private schools, I'd suggest Penn. Your DAT is spot on, your sGPA is nice and EC's are also great. You would have a good chance at being accepted there. If you're looking for another safe school, consider Temple as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

Well, I'm finally applying for dental school and I am trying to decide on which schools to apply for with my stats. Feedback would be much appreciated:

First, my basic stats:

I am planning to apply broadly, but am just wondering if there are schools I should add/drop for reasons I am not aware of or have not considered. I am bouncing my list off of the community to see what you all think. I do have a few reach schools (I am aware I may never hear back from) and some "safer" schools on my list so far. I want to keep my list at or below 20.

1. Roseman
  2. NYU
  3. Boston
  4. Tufts
  5. Midwestern, IL
  6. Midwestern, AZ
  7. A.T. Still, AZ
  8. Case Western
  9. UOP
  10. UCSF
  11. Detroit
  12. UMich
  13. Marquette
  14. Pitt
  15. UNC
  16. UIC @ Chicago
  18. Colorado
  19. Creighton

I suggest adding LECOM to your list

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you have an excellent application. That looks like a good list, but have you looked at USC? It's a private school and quite pricy but is more open to OOS applicants.

A friend of mine who is applying OOS mentioned that he was including New England and UConn, saying that they are more friendly to OOS applicants. I can't confirm this, but you might consider lookinginto those.

Take off UIC, they will begin to take OOS people again this cycle but I highly doubt it will be a lot. Back when they use to they only took a handful, 6 to be exact back in 2012.

UNC might be a stretch.

Add some privates and UNLV.

If you're looking to add some more private schools, I'd suggest Penn. Your DAT is spot on, your sGPA is nice and EC's are also great. You would have a good chance at being accepted there. If you're looking for another safe school, consider Temple as well.
I got the impression that UPenn seems to favor high GPA over high DAT, whereas the reverse seemed like a trend for Columbia.

Danny is correct. UConn along with UCSF (which you've already included) are OOS friendly, and they both offer in-state tuition after 1 year. At my interview in UConn, they said they have no residency preference or quotas to fill with in-state residents, so feel free to apply there.

Last edited:
I got the impression that UPenn seems to favor high GPA over high DAT, whereas the reverse seemed like a trend for Columbia.
I have two friends who are third years at Penn. One had an average GPA with a stellar DAT and the other had a below average GPA with a stellar DAT. They tell me their class was pretty similar in terms of a trend, from what classmates have told them. I feel like both Penn and Columbia favor a strong DAT over GPA, but then again, what do I know about admissions for those schools.

your overall GPA is kind of on the lower end but you have a decent science GPA and then you have a killer DAT score. Give Ohio State University a try, they take in a decent number of OOS applicants and you have the option to go into in-state residency for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

Also definitely put UNLV on the list, almost half of the admits are OOS admits. Not sure if this formula still works for UNLV (was there when i applied billions of years ago)

Determined to qualify for interview

((your overall GPA + your science GPA)/8) x (reading comprehension score on DAT/30) x ((DAT biology, g chem, o chem) /90 ) x 75= A

During interview

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

To get admitted: A + B (the closer to 100 the better your chances)

Last edited:
your overall GPA is kind of on the lower end but you have a decent science GPA and then you have a killer DAT score. Give Ohio State University a try, they take in a decent number of OOS applicants and you have the option to go into in-state residency for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

Also definitely put UNLV on the list, almost half of the applicants are OOS applicants. Not sure if this formula still works for UNLV (was there when i applied billions of years ago)

Determined to qualify for interview

((your overall GPA + your science GPA)/8) x (reading comprehension score on DAT/30) x ((DAT biology, g chem, o chem) /90 ) x 75= A

During interview

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

To get admitted: A + B (the closer to 100 the better your chances)

So if you get a 0 on one of your interviews, I am guessing that is 0 points now? haha

So if you get a 0 on one of your interviews, I am guessing that is 0 points now? haha

trust me, you would have to be the greatest douche of all time to get a 0 on the interview. My interview was like a social event at a bar, though the faculty interviewer was pretty much a clone of me, personality wise. Its not too hard if students were prepped. The DAT score (especially the reading score) is the trump card for UNLV, though I've seen some people got rejected with a high RC score (probably something else on the app)

Last edited:
Penn, Columbia they will love your dat scores. I don't think you need as many "safety schools" with your app. Apply to the schools that you'd like to attend. Also, 20 schools is a lot to keep up with.. I applied late to 18 and it was hard. I'd narrow it down

Hey all,

First, my basic stats:

1. Roseman
  2. NYU
  3. Boston
  4. Tufts
  5. Midwestern, IL
  6. Midwestern, AZ
  7. A.T. Still, AZ
  8. Case Western
  9. UOP
  10. UCSF
  11. Detroit
  12. UMich
  13. Marquette
  14. Pitt
  15. UNC
  16. UIC @ Chicago
  18. Colorado
  19. Creighton
With your DAT I would change a few- take out NYU, Tufts, Boston, Midwestern IL and AZ, Detroit. Add Columbia, Penn, Ohio State, UConn, UCSF