Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winston Smith

i didn't do it
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have pretty average stats but I'm unsure of what schools to apply to. I have looked into the MSAR for schools with similar GPA's as mine but for how high of an average GPA can I go while being realistic.

Ex. Say I have a 3.5, would a 3.7+ average school be possible?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you'd have to provide an MCAT score, some ECs, and the undergrad insitution (Biomedical engineering major at CalTech or basketweaving at community colllege) before you'll get an answer

Okay my stats are 3.5 (in biochemistry) with 10's all across on MCATs coming from a relatively unknown UC.

I've done research and worked as an EMT for my major EC's with an upward trend in grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't go overboard with schools in the 3.8 range. however, you might as well apply to a couple if you're really interested in them since you never know. definetly apply to many with 3.6 to 3.7 average gpa and some lower ones as well.

Obviously go for all the UCs. You never know which ones will take you or not. And try OHSU because they take some Californians. Unfortunately, that just about does it for this side of the Rockies, since the other public med schools don't take Californians except for MSTP. Try some of the "easy" privates and also make sure to apply to any school that you think you would really LIKE to go to. Also apply to any med school in a city or state you have particular reason to feel attached to. Apply to a lot of schools, because you never know how the chips are going to fall.

Yep, a 3.5 GPA would be looked upon fairly well by a school where the AVG is a 3.7. You know why, 'cos those are AVG's meaning roughly half have higher and half have lower stats. Its all about the "complete package".