Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lclemon2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-resident of a rural, medically-underserved region of southern Georgia
-31S MCAT (11 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS, S WS)
-3.900 cumulative GPA
-3.915 science GPA
-(soon to be) graduate of small rural college - Georgia Southwestern State University - B.S.
Biological Sciences
-Extensive volunteering with Habitat for Humanity and The Fuller Center for Housing (>200 hrs)
-Desire to practice primary care in similar underserved area

Interested in applying to Nationally-Ranked top Primary Care Institutions (allopathic) - UW, UNC Chapel Hill, etc. but fear my OOS status will hold me back.

Chances? Alternative suggestions? I understand my MCAT is "solid" but not great. I do not wish to go to Harvard or anything, i simply want to attend a nationally ranked program for primary care, preferably OOS. Open to suggestions! thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be competitive at most programs, especially those at private colleges due to no IS requirements, with that high GPA.

While I cannot offer much advice, I do know one thing... you will almost certainly get in somewhere, if not everywhere you apply. I think it's great that you have such a strong desire to focus on primary care in underserved areas. We need more doctors serving in that capacity. You have a great mentality.

On another note, I was just up in Madison, WI last month. I spent the day on the campus of the University of Wisconsin. I was very impressed by the school, and I have always been impressed by the doctors educated there. If I were not so opposed to living in the cold, I would have loved to study there.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your oos and MCAT might hold you back from any type of "top" program. There is just so much competition it is really hard to say. The average MCAT for a matriculating student is closer to 32 these days.

Do you have any more EC's? hobbies? sports? shadowing? If you only have what is listed you might want to apply more broadly.

Your oos and MCAT might hold you back from any type of "top" program. There is just so much competition it is really hard to say. The average MCAT for a matriculating student is closer to 32 these days.

Do you have any more EC's? hobbies? sports? shadowing? If you only have what is listed you might want to apply more broadly.

In addition to the volunteer work mentioned, I served as the president of the Honor's college for two years in which I coordinated and participated in various community service projects. Also member of honors/service fraternity. 200+ hours of clinical shadowing in ED and family Medicine. Additional shadowing scheduled in cardiology and anesthesiology (not primary care, but will be rewarding nonetheless). I've also held down various jobs throughout college.

That should all help, huh?

While I cannot offer much advice, I do know one thing... you will almost certainly get in somewhere, if not everywhere you apply. I think it's great that you have such a strong desire to focus on primary care in underserved areas. We need more doctors serving in that capacity. You have a great mentality.

On another note, I was just up in Madison, WI last month. I spent the day on the campus of the University of Wisconsin. I was very impressed by the school, and I have always been impressed by the doctors educated there. If I were not so opposed to living in the cold, I would have loved to study there.

Good luck!

Haha unfortunately, Im afraid the cold is a turn-off for me as well, growing up in the South. But if it means getting into med school, I believe I could adjust. People all over the country need quality medical care, lol.