Where to buy books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

could you please suggest where i should buy all my books?

IUSD is asking us to buy 13 different books (mandatory) and recommend 3 others. now each one averages about $75.00 to buy from the school's bookstore. i already searched for them on amazon but only found 2-3.

is there any other websites to look at or should i wait and ask the second year students for theirs?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, we have a day in the first week where D2s sell their books and archives to freshmen. Otherwise look for signs up at your school, there are always people selling books, or old dental decks or archives of old exams. You'll probably find that in half of the classes you don't even need the textbook, or if you do it'll just be for supplemental material. Talk with an upperclassman at your school to find out for sure.

thank you sandman. i will take your advice and wait till i start school.

i actually found this website while searching for books. GeTextbooks.com it actually lists about 35 different bookstores and their prices for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
amazon. com - half.com - look at your school library and keep renewing throughout the semester.

PERFECT3435 said:
hi guys,

could you please suggest where i should buy all my books?

IUSD is asking us to buy 13 different books (mandatory) and recommend 3 others. now each one averages about $75.00 to buy from the school's bookstore. i already searched for them on amazon but only found 2-3.

is there any other websites to look at or should i wait and ask the second year students for theirs?

thank you

In addition of buying from the class ahead of you, try these websites:

www.amazon.com - especially the used booksellers
www.half.com
www.walmart.com (yes, walmart)
www.ebay.com (yes, ebay, worth a try)
www.campusi.com
www.powells.com

And like Sandman already posted, out of those 13 mandatory books, you might actually only need 2 or 3.

You'll find that even terms such as "mandatory" take on an elusive meaning in dental school. Most often "mandatory" when used to discuss textbooks equates to "the professor wishes his students would read this, but all the applicable tested material will still come from the syllabus".

I've found this to be true. We get a syllabus/powerpoint slides that number in the 700s (as in 700 slides) for each course. Anything that the instructor tests on that isn't in those slides can't be THAT important or it would have been included to begin with.

Save yourself some cash and don't stress the books until you talk to the upperclassmen. Or better yet, just get their notes.

I use a website called allbookstores.com it will compare the prices of several online bookstores for you and you can sort by price. I have saved $100s this way.