where to do rest of pre-reqs and other things

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just finishing my BS in Physician Assistant in June. I'm 25. I decided I want to goto medical school. Wasn't my intention, but I just found that's more suited to me. I have a 3.602 or something like that. I'm missing a few pre reqs such as physics 1 and 2, organic 2, and bio labs. My science GPA could probably due with a bit of buffing, so i was thinking about retakingmy C+ in org 1 and C+ in biochem D:. I did exceptional in all my medical courses like pharm and clinical medicine, lab medicine, physicial diagnosis and my rotations. So I wonder, should I take my pre reqs at the school i just finnished from? it's a small expensive no name private school, but i could do enough courses to get second BS in bio i guess ans i could retake gross anatomy to erase that icky C (dont take gross anatomy over 8 weeks in the summer). but who cares about a second bs? or should i just goto the state school where i want to goto medical school to do my pre reqs, maybe cheaper but im no a state resident sooo, maybe not. Hmm! I am hoping to take the mcat next spring. I had hoped to work at least part time as a PA because why not? but i dont want it to interfere with my coursework since a 4.0 is imperative.

Just ponderings i've had. I know what schools i am going to apply to. I'm pretty familliar with the application cycle since i saw my poor fiance go through it a year ago (he got in :) ) Obviously I hope to get into the same one, but I know it's a crapshoot. i plan on taking the summer to do some volumteer activities and ec's while looking for a part time job and decided what classes to do! :)

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Typically, you can take your prerequisites at any accredited 4 year college/university, so it sounds like either your current school or a state school could suffice. Only warning is to steer away from community/junior college type institutions.

I think working part time as a PA is definitely a good idea, but I agree with you that your academics should come first. Although a 4.0 is really good in practice I believe both the science and overall GPA of successful applicants is around 3.5 to 3.6 range. If you somehow manage to keep a part time PA job going and maintain a competitive GPA within the above range it would look much better then someone who just spent most of their time studying.

Good luck. :)

You may find the PA profession more rewarding than you think. Job satisfaction is directly related to the relationship with the supervising physician and the area of medicine in which you practice.

That said, having a stellar GPA will help you get into med school, but so will having real medical experience behind you as a PA. You'll be able to get better letters of recommendation and practical experience you could use in your interviews.

Hi, I'm just finishing my BS in Physician Assistant in June. I'm 25. I decided I want to goto medical school. Wasn't my intention, but I just found that's more suited to me. I have a 3.602 or something like that. I'm missing a few pre reqs such as physics 1 and 2, organic 2, and bio labs. My science GPA could probably due with a bit of buffing, so i was thinking about retakingmy C+ in org 1 and C+ in biochem D:. I did exceptional in all my medical courses like pharm and clinical medicine, lab medicine, physicial diagnosis and my rotations. So I wonder, should I take my pre reqs at the school i just finnished from? it's a small expensive no name private school, but i could do enough courses to get second BS in bio i guess ans i could retake gross anatomy to erase that icky C (dont take gross anatomy over 8 weeks in the summer). but who cares about a second bs? or should i just goto the state school where i want to goto medical school to do my pre reqs, maybe cheaper but im no a state resident sooo, maybe not. Hmm! I am hoping to take the mcat next spring. I had hoped to work at least part time as a PA because why not? but i dont want it to interfere with my coursework since a 4.0 is imperative.

Just ponderings i've had. I know what schools i am going to apply to. I'm pretty familliar with the application cycle since i saw my poor fiance go through it a year ago (he got in :) ) Obviously I hope to get into the same one, but I know it's a crapshoot. i plan on taking the summer to do some volumteer activities and ec's while looking for a part time job and decided what classes to do! :)

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
any thoughts?

1) Begin the practice of proofreading before you submit your AMCAS personal statement.

2) I agree that working as a PA is a good idea that would boost the strength of your application. You'll also get a good salary that will help offset the expensive education you've just completed. Possibly you'll find that it does satisfy your career goals after all.

3) Some med schools don't mind if you complete prerequisites at a community college and some do. Check the websites of the schools you are most interested in to be sure, as this would be a less expensive way to get the educational credits that you mentioned.

Hi, I'm just finishing my BS in Physician Assistant in June. I'm 25. I decided I want to goto medical school. Wasn't my intention, but I just found that's more suited to me. I have a 3.602 or something like that. I'm missing a few pre reqs such as physics 1 and 2, organic 2, and bio labs. My science GPA could probably due with a bit of buffing, so i was thinking about retakingmy C+ in org 1 and C+ in biochem D:.

You really do not need to re-take these courses. You need the knowledge from these courses but re-taking them would likely be a total waste of time. Take the pre-med courses that you lack; do extremely well in them (no grade less than B+) and take a good MCAT review course.

I did exceptional in all my medical courses like pharm and clinical medicine, lab medicine, physicial diagnosis and my rotations. So I wonder, should I take my pre reqs at the school i just finnished from? it's a small expensive no name private school, but i could do enough courses to get second BS in bio i guess ans i could retake gross anatomy to erase that icky C (dont take gross anatomy over 8 weeks in the summer). but who cares about a second bs? or should i just goto the state school where i want to goto medical school to do my pre reqs, maybe cheaper but im no a state resident sooo, maybe not.

It's great that you have good grades from these courses but nothing that you do outside of medical school is comparable to your coursework in medical school.

It doesn't make any difference where you do your coursework. Pick up the courses that you need anywhere it's convenient. You don't need a second Bachelor's degree if you already have one. Whether or not you want to attend medical school at your state school won't make any difference in terms of getting your pre-med coursework done. Go where you can get the courses that you need and make sure they are in sufficient depth so that you have covered the subjects that you need for medical school.

Hmm! I am hoping to take the mcat next spring. I had hoped to work at least part time as a PA because why not? but i dont want it to interfere with my coursework since a 4.0 is imperative.

any thoughts?

You should definitely work as a Physician Assistant. You may find that once you are out in the field, being a PA is as good of a "fit" as being a physician. It also gives you some income, which is not bad either. Depending on when you plan on getting married, your priorities may change so leave yourself plenty of room to explore both being a physician and being a physician assistant. Even though there is some overlap in job skills, they are two very different professions.

With your previous grades in Organic and Biochemistry, be sure that you are thoroughly prepared before you take the MCAT. You definitely want to have a solid knowledge base that you can apply to their problems before you sit for this exam. With working and attempting to complete your coursework, next Spring might be too early for this test. Again, see how your diagnostic MCAT tests go but you only want to take this important exam once. Good luck with your quest!

FYI - If you apply to MD schools you can't "erase" a bad grade by retaking the class. The C or D will stay on your record. I believe it's different for DO schools though.

No, I know. They average it. I've never gotten a D though :) Justa few C+'s. I want it to balance my science GPA a bit.

Thanks for your input.
With your previous grades in Organic and Biochemistry, be sure that you are thoroughly prepared before you take the MCAT. You definitely want to have a solid knowledge base that you can apply to their problems before you sit for this exam. With working and attempting to complete your coursework, next Spring might be too early for this test. Again, see how your diagnostic MCAT tests go but you only want to take this important exam once. Good luck with your quest!

That's partially why I thought about retaking organic 1. I thought it might help me prep for the MCAT as it's been almost 3 years since I took it..

It's great that you have good grades from these courses but nothing that you do outside of medical school is comparable to your coursework in medical school.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Not equivalent, sure. But not comparable? Of course it is! I'm not just talking out of my ass, I help the MS-1's with their work all the time. There was no difference in their gross anatomy, pathology and physical exam class. There was a difference in histology, embryology. There's a difference in the systems in that there is more focus in cellular level, and mine focused more on diagnostics and pharmacology/pharmokinetics. But "nothing" that I do outside of medical school is comparable isn't accurate. It's jsut the reality that I can already do a complete history and physical and know the basics of medicine: enough to forumlate a good DDX on most complaints, diagnose and decided what medications to prescribe. That's not comparable? :p It's just not equivalent.
I probably can't nail the zebras (like... maple syrup disease!). And I definitely cannot tell you the complex moelcular basis of the less common diseases.
If you're speaking of in the eyes of allo adcoms it's not comparable, that's a sad reality unfortuantely. I had hoped to apply and be accepted allo, with a solid mcat I hope that wouldn't be a problem. Anyways as a new grad PA it's more not comparable as a PA of 5+ years. I just have the textbook stuff down and a year of clinicals behind me.

Woosh. I rambled. I hope that doesn't cause some sort of backlash as anytime a PA says their medication has some comparability with MD education (HELLO, THATS WHAT WE *BASE* IT ON) we usually are attacked my a swamp of pre meds and non PA med students. :p