Where to find an IBR savvy accountant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimka83

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My spouse and I are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision of whether married filing jointly or separately would be best for our IBR situation. He is still a student but works full time (non-medical). I am starting my residency. I worry that if we file jointly his income will be taken into account and I will have a higher required payment but his debt won't be taken into account since he is still in school and thus not in repayment. Of course there are many other things to consider including the EIC, interest deductions, how I should fill out my W4, blah blah. Would any accountant know enough about IBR to help us with this decision? I feel that IBR is so new that most accountants wouldn't be as knowledgeable. Advice on where to go for guidance?

Members don't see this ad.

My spouse and I are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision of whether married filing jointly or separately would be best for our IBR situation. He is still a student but works full time (non-medical). I am starting my residency. I worry that if we file jointly his income will be taken into account and I will have a higher required payment but his debt won't be taken into account since he is still in school and thus not in repayment. Of course there are many other things to consider including the EIC, interest deductions, how I should fill out my W4, blah blah. Would any accountant know enough about IBR to help us with this decision? I feel that IBR is so new that most accountants wouldn't be as knowledgeable. Advice on where to go for guidance?
Best bet is ibrinfo.org or call Direct Loans first. If IBR allows joint returns then you don't need an accountant to evaluate joint vs. separate.