Where to find list of new developing DO Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteopathicmedstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There used tobe a downloadable PDF on either AACOMAS or the COCA site. But I can no longer find it. Anyone know what website it can be found on? It used to have info on Allegiant COM (proposed for SF) and gaylord COM.

Members don't see this ad.

There used tobe a downloadable PDF on either AACOMAS or the COCA site. But I can no longer find it. Anyone know what website it can be found on? It used to have info on Allegiant COM (proposed for SF) and gaylord COM.
There are no updates with Gaylord COM, I doubt they will even open for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there really going to be a gaylord com?
according to their info - yes. they are working on it. They are still in the stage of seeking accreditation. They were trying to purchase a vacated school building. They are looking for rotations and such and are recruiting people. They have gathered executive team. But, they are moving very slowly.

Will it happen? We will have to see.

according to their info - yes. they are working on it. They are still in the stage of seeking accreditation. They were trying to purchase a vacated school building. They are looking for rotations and such and are recruiting people. They have gathered executive team. But, they are moving very slowly.

I checked the wikipedia list wheres the info for allegiant I keep getting directed to an airline

Last edited:
basically that its even a plan
For progress on individual developing schools, you will have to Google for that.

Otherwise COCA has meetings throughout the year and they have agendas for those. There you can see why will be discussed for individual schools.

As far as Gaylord COM, which officially is called MNCOM, I have info directly from their CEO.

Proposed Gaylord medical school nears construction

“Only because it’s an older school — an elementary and middle school at some point — so we’re going to need to do a lot of wiring,"
LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
I love this too:
"Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee, who will be dean of the planned school, said the college will be designed to attract and retain future doctors to Minnesota.

“Evidence clearly states if you have a medical school in the state, the people trained in that program tend to stay in the region,” she said.

A graduate medical education program could be added later, depending on the accreditation process. Ross-Lee said gaining pre-accreditation will be the most important, upcoming step for the project, as it would allow them to start taking admissions in 2019."

Whoot Whoot!

Reactions: 1 users
Well it looks like the Minnesota school will be open by 2020. It appears that the school achieved candidate status back in April 2018.
https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/uploads/com-candidate-status.pdf
Sam Houston which has also achieved candidate status plans to open in August 2020.
(Of course CHSU in Central Valley, CA will also be taking applications in 2019 for the class of August 2020 and is already available in the list of D.O schools from the COCA website.
https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/...-list-of-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine.pdf )

Well it looks like the Minnesota school will be open by 2020. It appears that the school achieved candidate status back in April 2018.
https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/uploads/com-candidate-status.pdf
Sam Houston which has also achieved candidate status plans to open in August 2020.
(Of course CHSU in Central Valley, CA will also be taking applications in 2019 for the class of August 2020 and is already available in the list of D.O schools from the COCA website.
https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/...-list-of-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine.pdf )
Excuse my ignorance but Sam Houston and Mncom will have their first class in 2020 meaning one can apply this summer?

Reactions: 1 user
I usually find new schools in rural towns of less than 5000 that have an abandoned gym from when the 'boomers had that big high-school class back in the 60's.' If all else fails, old strip malls or failed online school campus' also suffice. Abandoned military bases can also work.

Reactions: 5 users
Excuse my ignorance but Sam Houston and Mncom will have their first class in 2020 meaning one can apply this summer?
They plan to have their first class in 2020 meaning yes you will be able to apply this summer if they get accreditation on time. Personally, I have a feeling Sam Houston won't have any trouble doing so, but MNCOM may or may not open on time. (They were originally slated to open 2017 I think and they kept pushing it back.)
One school that is for sure opening starting 2020 is California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine. They're even listed already on the list of schools accredited by COCA. Also NOVA and LMU are expanding in 2019 so admissions to these two might become a bit easier.
If you have the choice, most would recommend that you go to a more established school of course.

Last edited:
I usually find new schools in rural towns of less than 5000 that have an abandoned gym from when the 'boomers had that big high-school class back in the 60's.' If all else fails, old strip malls or failed online school campus' also suffice. Abandoned military bases can also work.
Don't forget abandoned department stores and elementary schools!

Reactions: 1 user
They plan to have their first class in 2020 meaning yes you will be able to apply this summer if they get accreditation on time. Personally, I have a feeling Sam Houston won't have any trouble doing so, but MNCOM may or may not open on time. (They were originally slated to open 2017 I think and they kept pushing it back.)
One school that is for sure opening starting 2020 is California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine. They're even listed already on the list of schools accredited by COCA. Also NOVA and LMU are expanding in 2019 so admissions to these two might become a bit easier.
If you have the choice, most would recommend that you go to a more established school of course.
Thank you!