Where to find post-surgery med recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could lead me to a site/book that offers recommendations of what should be prescribed following a procedure (ie. after a uncomplicated cholecystectomy)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Care is going to vary with each patient and their particular conditions and complications, but UpToDate would be your best bet for current post operative care recommendations.

Not to be rude, but just about any medical student should know the above information; I would not seek medical advice or information online.

Care is going to vary with each patient and their particular conditions and complications, but UpToDate would be your best bet for current post operative care recommendations.

Not to be rude, but just about any medical student should know the above information; I would not seek medical advice or information online.

Point taken; however, I wasn't seeking medical advice on a forum but rather where to find said information. This is my first week in the hospital, so I don't think it's unusual that I don't know the proper source for treatment protocols.

But thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Point taken; however, I wasn't seeking medical advice on a forum but rather where to find said information. This is my first week in the hospital, so I don't think it's unusual that I don't know the proper source for treatment protocols.

But thanks for the info.

Sorry, really wasn't trying to be rude, most hospitals let you know where to access their education resources. If your hospital doesn't have UpToDate you can purchase it as a med student for pretty cheap ($100-200), very worth it if your in rotations.

* I have no association with UTD or any financial incentive to recommend it, just the resource I am most familiar with and I find the most useful.

eMedicine is a free source that may contain some of the info your also looking for.

But thanks for the info.
Ask your residents. Each hospital and even attending has their own protocols that they use that is a mix of evidence based medicine and personal experience.

I've found that the f/u and discharge instructions vary widely.

Ask your residents. Each hospital and even attending has their own protocols that they use that is a mix of evidence based medicine and personal experience.

I've found that the f/u and discharge instructions vary widely.

I agree with this. I just started asking the attending in each case what the post op course in the hospital will be for the patient and have noticed that every attending does it differently (in terms of when you can advance diet, etc) for the same procedure.