Where to find program's residents stats??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebrightside

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading of being able to tell whether a residency program is supportive/has issues/isn't malignant by checking out how many residents they have replaced or haven't renewed thier pgy1 contracts...but how do you find this information exactly?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question I can't find the answer to/don't want to start a new thread:

If applying to a program that is AOA/ACGME dually accredited and participating in both matches for say 10 positions, now that the DO match is coming up and they will fill X amount of spots with DOs, I feel like I have a right to know how many of those spots are still open for the MD match, no? I believe they don't have a set number and take as many as they'd like each year (so can't look at their current roster), and it's a big deal if there's 2 spots left now vs. 6 :eyebrow:

If applying to a program that is AOA/ACGME dually accredited and participating in both matches for say 10 positions, now that the DO match is coming up and they will fill X amount of spots with DOs, I feel like I have a right to know how many of those spots are still open for the MD match, no? I believe they don't have a set number and take as many as they'd like each year (so can't look at their current roster), and it's a big deal if there's 2 spots left now vs. 6 :eyebrow:
You will be able to see that information once the AOA match is over. But the fact that you care about it means you don't understand how the Match works in the first place.

Reactions: 1 users

Why does it matter how many spots there are at this point in the process? Rank the programs according to how you feel about them (objective and subjective), submit your list, and wait for match week to learn your results.

Sure, if this was September and one had limited funds for applications this sort of info might sway someone towards/away from a program, but at this point it is meaningless.

why is everyone so feisty on here...

I do understand how it works just fine, I just like to consider the details ...it's not like i posted yet another thread on " are my chances less at program A if I put reach program B before it :p"

I keep reading of being able to tell whether a residency program is supportive/has issues/isn't malignant by checking out how many residents they have replaced or haven't renewed thier pgy1 contracts...but how do you find this information exactly?

-The programs that I applied to with DOs - they usually split the class half MDs and half DOs. But this is program dependent - some accept mostly DOs, some mostly MDs, etc.
-I have never heard of anywhere on the internt that you can check issues for porgram, whether it is supportive, etc. - the only way I know of how to learn about these things is to ask them on interview / call them / talk to residents (may be easier to talk to) / e-mail
-There is Freida but it gives some some hazy stats (range of USMLE scores, contacts, # of residents)

Programs with lots of foreign grads or Caribbean grads may be potentially more malignant and less supportive. Not a guarantee though and as always, YMMV.

And just be aware that just because the second year class has fewer people than the first year class does not mean that someone didn't have their contract renewed or left because it was malignant. My class lost a person after intern year and it was because she decided that she wanted to do Derm instead of Peds and transferred out of our program. So really, the only way to find out this information is to ask the residents.

Reactions: 1 user

The time to care about that is when contemplating the cost of your trip and trying to make a "Do I want to go to this interview?" decision -- at which point the information won't be available. Once you've invested in the trip, ranking that program's "only one left" spot at the top of your rank list costs you ONLY a risk of having to admit you matched at your second choice -- nothing else.

Hey, I've been wondering is there any benefit matching at a peds program that has almost every other resident speciality there vs. a program that just has peds, internal, and obgyn?? Just curious if there is something to it I don't see. Is it obvious then that this first program is automatically a stronger program? And please no "it doesn't matter now, rank how you want to rank" comments :D

Hey, I've been wondering is there any benefit matching at a peds program that has almost every other resident speciality there vs. a program that just has peds, internal, and obgyn?? Just curious if there is something to it I don't see. Is it obvious then that this first program is automatically a stronger program? And please no "it doesn't matter now, rank how you want to rank" comments :D

The presence of more training programs would suggest and overall better funded/staffed hospital. You're also likely to see more unusual pathology there in general as it would probably be a tertiary referral center. Having only a few residencies might make it a smaller hospital. That said, those other programs won't really affect you directly in pediatrics. If you liked what you saw at one place over another, go for that program. If you goals are an academic or fellowship training, then go for the big academic place.