Where to get volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spookybee3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do y'all get your service hours from? Does it have to be directly related to dentistry, or can it be anywhere as long as you're getting paid? For example, food bank or animal shelter. I've also heard it's better to get hours focused on a few different areas instead of all your hours coming from multiple places. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I think you meant "as long as you're **not** getting paid". But service hours can come from anywhere and don't have to be dentistry focused. If you can volunteer a few times at dental clinics, that's great, but by no means do all of your hours need to be in dentistry. I personally worked primarily with those with special needs/disabilities because that's what I enjoy.

I would recommend sticking with working with people over animals though.

Like literally anywhere. It doesn't have to be an advertised position. You can walk into any public "servicey" organization, i.e. homeless shelter, humane society, and just be friendly and say you want to help out somehow.